1. What’s All This About Journaling? on The New York Times. “One of the more effective acts of self-care is also, happily, one of the cheapest.”
2. She Who Hears the Cries of the World. “In Buddhist iconography, compassion is embodied in the bodhisattva Kuan Yin, who is said to manifest wherever beings need help. Engendering such compassion is not only good for others, says Christina Feldman, it is also good for us. By putting others first, we loosen the bonds of our self-fixation, and in doing so, inch closer to our own liberation.”
3. The problem with people is that they outnumber you from Seth Godin.
4. Love And Light: On Insta-Bullies + The “High Road.”
5. In this week’s “People Behaving Badly”: Middleton Heights staff placed on administrative leave over controversial Halloween outfits, and Michael Cohen Says Trump Repeatedly Used Racist Language Before His Presidency, and White Student at HBCU Law School Antagonizes Her Black Classmates With Racist Comments, and Texas hunters who accidentally shot each other blamed undocumented immigrants, and Republican lawmaker admits writing ‘death to gays’ manifesto, and Trump picks a curious adjective to describe Georgia’s Stacey Abrams, and Signs Of Desperation: Trump’s Racist, Inflammatory Ad, and White Woman Calls the Cops on Black Woman for Canvassing In Wealthy Neighborhood, and Indiana Woman Arrested After Leaving Racist Note On Neighbor’s Door: ‘Some People Find N****rs Stressful’, and #CrosswalkCathy Calls Police on Black Man Because She Didn’t Like The Way He Parked, and Missouri Nurse Fired for Blackface ‘Beyoncé’ Costume.
6. This Girl Bringing Her Mom To Sesame Street For The First Time Is The Purest Thing On The Internet Today.
7. Watch John Lewis Dance To ‘Happy’ At Stacey Abrams Campaign Event. In related news, Michael B. Jordan Knocks On Doors In Georgia To Tell Black Voters To Go To Polls, and Jimmy Carter Calls For Georgia Secretary Of State’s Resignation In Personal Plea.
8. Navajo Artist Creates ‘Make America Native Again’ Hats to Critique Donald Trump’s Campaign Slogan.
9. The Hate U Give Isn’t a Very Good Movie and It’s Very Hard to Say That Out Loud.
10. A Call For A Cease-Fire In Yemen Makes News. Its Catastrophe Doesn’t.
11. Cavalli speaks with his terminally ill grandpa. (video)
12. These two groovy grooms had “the time of their lives” during their wedding dance. (video)
13. Meet the black women doing justice differently in Georgia.
14. 11-year-old trans girl, Poppy, chats with 70-year-old trans woman, Josie, comparing their experiences of growing up trans. (video)
15. America Suddenly Discovers White Supremacy.
16. Trump is lying to scare voters. Migrant caravan families are desperate, not terrorists. In related news, Children of the caravan (a photo essay), and Meet the human beings of the refugee caravan (video).
17. North Dakota tribe’s challenge to voter ID law rejected by judge.
18. Scientist Whose Male Boss Won Nobel For Her Work Is Giving New $3 Million Prize Away. “Dame Jocelyn Bell Burnell is creating a scholarship for women, refugees and minorities to study physics.”
19. ‘Are You Actually an M.D.?’: A Black Doctor Is Questioned as She Intervenes on a Delta Flight on The New York Times.
20. Black N.C. Mother Charged With Drowning Death of Her Toddler During Hurricane Florence Gets Support From NAACP.
21. Why Ugliness Is Vital in the Age of Social Media. “ALOK talks with writer and disability justice organizer Mia Mingus about beauty, body positivity, and ableism.”
22. In a low-income neighborhood, this man is growing his own organic produce, “and giving extras away for free to neighbors who can’t afford fresh ingredients from the store.” (video)
23. Don Lemon Doubles Down On Comments That White Men Are Biggest Domestic Terror Threat. In related news, Tallahassee Yoga Shooter Was A Far-Right Misogynist Who Railed Against Women And Minorities Online, and 72 hours in America: Three hate-filled crimes. Three hate-filled suspects.
24. Butterfly Preserve On The Border Threatened By Trump’s Wall.
25. The kingdom Choir spreading love on their British Airways flight back from Australia. (video)
26. Doctors and Fat Patients cartoon. I wish this weren’t so accurate…
27. A Prince Documentary Is in the Works at Netflix—with Ava DuVernay at the Helm.
28. Random Cat Crashes Fashion Show, Fights Models.
29. Thousands of Indigenous women and girls in Canada have gone missing or been murdered. And the police are doing nothing about it. (video)
30. Existing While Black: What does it feel like when every move you make is policed?
31. There’s Nothing Virtuous About Finding Common Ground.
32. “Once we told Jude it’s time to go bye bye, he gave every stranger a hug.” (video) Free hugs!
33. The Greensboro Massacre of 1979, Explained.
34. At Trump Rallies, Women See a Hero Protecting a Way of Life on The New York Times.
35. 5 Bad Habits “Woke” People Need to Break.
36. The 97-Year-Old Park Ranger Who Doesn’t Have Time for Foolishness. “As the oldest career National Park Service ranger, Betty Soskin is unabashed about revealing all of America’s history—and her optimism about our future.”