1. What’s All This About Journaling? on The New York Times. “One of the more effective acts of self-care is also, happily, one of the cheapest.”
2. She Who Hears the Cries of the World. “In Buddhist iconography, compassion is embodied in the bodhisattva Kuan Yin, who is said to manifest wherever beings need help. Engendering such compassion is not only good for others, says Christina Feldman, it is also good for us. By putting others first, we loosen the bonds of our self-fixation, and in doing so, inch closer to our own liberation.”
3. The problem with people is that they outnumber you from Seth Godin.
5. In this week’s “People Behaving Badly”: Middleton Heights staff placed on administrative leave over controversial Halloween outfits, and Michael Cohen Says Trump Repeatedly Used Racist Language Before His Presidency, and White Student at HBCU Law School Antagonizes Her Black Classmates With Racist Comments, and Texas hunters who accidentally shot each other blamed undocumented immigrants, and Republican lawmaker admits writing ‘death to gays’ manifesto, and Trump picks a curious adjective to describe Georgia’s Stacey Abrams, and Signs Of Desperation: Trump’s Racist, Inflammatory Ad, and White Woman Calls the Cops on Black Woman for Canvassing In Wealthy Neighborhood, and Indiana Woman Arrested After Leaving Racist Note On Neighbor’s Door: ‘Some People Find N****rs Stressful’, and #CrosswalkCathy Calls Police on Black Man Because She Didn’t Like The Way He Parked, and Missouri Nurse Fired for Blackface ‘Beyoncé’ Costume.
7. Watch John Lewis Dance To ‘Happy’ At Stacey Abrams Campaign Event. In related news, Michael B. Jordan Knocks On Doors In Georgia To Tell Black Voters To Go To Polls, and Jimmy Carter Calls For Georgia Secretary Of State’s Resignation In Personal Plea.
11. Cavalli speaks with his terminally ill grandpa. (video)
16. Trump is lying to scare voters. Migrant caravan families are desperate, not terrorists. In related news, Children of the caravan (a photo essay), and Meet the human beings of the refugee caravan (video).
18. Scientist Whose Male Boss Won Nobel For Her Work Is Giving New $3 Million Prize Away. “Dame Jocelyn Bell Burnell is creating a scholarship for women, refugees and minorities to study physics.”
19. ‘Are You Actually an M.D.?’: A Black Doctor Is Questioned as She Intervenes on a Delta Flight on The New York Times.
21. Why Ugliness Is Vital in the Age of Social Media. “ALOK talks with writer and disability justice organizer Mia Mingus about beauty, body positivity, and ableism.”
22. In a low-income neighborhood, this man is growing his own organic produce, “and giving extras away for free to neighbors who can’t afford fresh ingredients from the store.” (video)
23. Don Lemon Doubles Down On Comments That White Men Are Biggest Domestic Terror Threat. In related news, Tallahassee Yoga Shooter Was A Far-Right Misogynist Who Railed Against Women And Minorities Online, and 72 hours in America: Three hate-filled crimes. Three hate-filled suspects.
26. Doctors and Fat Patients cartoon. I wish this weren’t so accurate…
32. “Once we told Jude it’s time to go bye bye, he gave every stranger a hug.” (video) Free hugs!
34. At Trump Rallies, Women See a Hero Protecting a Way of Life on The New York Times.
36. The 97-Year-Old Park Ranger Who Doesn’t Have Time for Foolishness. “As the oldest career National Park Service ranger, Betty Soskin is unabashed about revealing all of America’s history—and her optimism about our future.”