1. Morning walks. For the next couple of weeks, it will actually be light out again when we walk in the morning. When we went out today, we walked along the river. I’ve been missing it. In the summer, the mosquitoes keep us away, and after that it was too far for Sam to walk, and then it was too dark to enjoy, but we were able to go today. Sam loved it.
2. Having loved someone so much that nine years later it still hurts to be without them. Nine years ago today, we had to let go of our first dog, Obi. As I said on Facebook this morning, I get it. Everyone dies. And our dogs most likely will go before we do because their lives are so much shorter, but it still feels massively unfair. I suppose the fact that it still hurts, that I still miss him like crazy, is both the bad news and the good.
3. The ones you love that are still here. Having friends who are smart, kind, creative, and funny is just the best.
4. Flowers in the bathroom. Even when they are from the grocery store, leftover from last week.
5. My tiny family. Ringo was especially cute this week.
Bonus joy: warm peach pie, fresh pesto, seeing Winona LaDuke give a talk at CSU, texting, being able to prioritize without guilt, my infrared heating pad on a morning when it was only 19 degrees on our walk, indica for sleeping, sick days, writing, reading, watching TV, teaching yoga, practice, long naps, sleeping in, down blankets and wool socks, a crisp gala apple with crunchy peanut butter, the hug my new intern gave me when she finally was able to start working, lunches with Aramati, writing with Chloe’ and Mikalina, being home by myself.