1. I am still processing this: Report alleges sexual misconduct by leader of Shambhala community and Shambhala Head Sakyong Mipham Rinpoche Accused of Sexual Abuse in New Report. I read the report and I absolutely believe the women, and feel certain there are many more who have not spoken out but who were similarly harmed. I also read Sakyong Mipham’s “apology” letter and think it’s problematic af, not an apology at all. I am confused, outraged, shocked, and heartbroken. This is my Buddhist practice lineage, and I’m not sure how to react, so for now I’m just sitting with it, holding compassion and confusion and rage and grief in my heart simultaneously. A few other teachers have made posts, videos, and statements. For example On Shambhala from Susan Piver, Reflections on Shambhala from Ethan Nichtern, and Offering support to the Shambhala community from Lama Rob Owens (video). Lodro Rinzler posted on Facebook, “I am feeling a lot of pain around what is happening in the Shambhala community. I personally have clarity that it is time for me to officially exit Shambhala as an organization and no longer teach there. The Shambhala teachings are separate from the organization, invaluable, and will always be a part of me.”
2. In Nigeria, an 11-year-old artist is creating waves with his unique creations. (video)
3. U.S. Senator Elizabeth Warren visits a detention center. (video) “I went down to the border protection processing center in McAllen, Texas so I could see what’s happening there with my own eyes. They wouldn’t let cameras inside, but I can tell you what I saw.”
4. More racist nonsense: A family called the cops on this 12-year-old boy after he accidentally mowed part of their lawn (video), and Two first-hand accounts of the horror at the heart of Donald Trump’s zero-tolerance policy of separating children from their parents at the US border (video), and After 40 Days Apart and a Missed Flight, a Migrant Family Reunites on The New York Times, and These parents were separated from their children and detained by US border patrol agents, who suspected them of trying to enter the country illegally (video), and Immigration Lawyer Broke Her Foot When ICE Officer Pushed Her on The New York Times, and Officer In Antwon Rose Shooting Charged With Homicide, and Protests continue against the largest immigration detention center in the US located in McAllen, TX (video), and Trump Aims to Dismantle Protections for Immigrant Kids and Radically Expand the Family Detention System, and Businesses divest from Alison Ettel’s marijuana company, TreatWell, after viral 911 video, and Watch a mother and son reunite after being forcibly separated for over a month (video).
5. She raised her hand to help, and it made a beautiful difference in one man’s journey. (video)
6. Annapolis shooting suspect “wanted to get revenge,” lawyer for harassed woman says. Explain again why we need a wall to keep the bad people out when they are already here, white, male, and legal?!
7. Best highlights from #WhatTheFluff challenge part 2. (video)
8. Trans Woman Kicked Out Of D.C. Restaurant For Refusing To Show ID Before Using The Bathroom.
9. This minor league mascot recreated ‘Dirty Dancing’ — and it was spectacular. (video)
10. Cats are in a world of their own! (video)
11. Rep. Maxine Waters Goes On Live TV And Reads Actual Quotes Of Trump Inciting Violence.
12. San Diego’s ‘Aunt Debbie’ overwhelmed by donations.
13. A top House Democrat lost his primary — to a socialist.
14. Stop Condemning My Bitterness, Start Condemning The System.
15. Supreme Court finally condemns 1944 decision that allowed Japanese internment during World War II.
16. ‘This is not the land of the free.’ (video) “This imam experienced things at U.S. detention centers that he never even encountered at Syrian refugee camps.”
17. 20+ Hilarious Dog Snapchats That Are Impawsible Not To Laugh At.
18. 10 Reasons Why Coming to America Is the Best Black Movie of All Time.
19. Marriage Equality Museum Will Defiantly Stand Against Hate. (video) “Three years after the Supreme Court legalized same-sex marriage, this man wants to transform his brightly-colored Equality House into the first-ever marriage equality museum. The building sits right across the street from the notoriously anti-LGBTQ Westboro Baptist Church, making the museum a powerful symbol in the face of hate.”
20. 30 Ways White People Say ‘Black People’ Without Actually Saying ‘Black People.’
21. The past 72 hours in Sarah Sanders’s dinner and the civility debate, explained.
22. Stop Tone Policing My Outrage at This Presidency.
23. An Arizona woman needed a drug to induce a miscarriage. Her pharmacist refused.
24. I’m Reading 50 Books by Women of Color This Year—Here Are Some More of My Favorites.
25. 7 Myths about Cultural Appropriation DEBUNKED! (video)
26. I’m Not Political (Because I Assume I Will Retain All of My Privileges Forever).
27. ‘People Of Light’: New Campaign Seeks To Redefine What It Means To Be ‘White.’ I can’t even. You’d think this was an article from The Onion, but it’s not.
28. The Hate U Give movie trailer.
29. CDC lists oil of lemon eucalyptus as comparable to DEET for mosquitoes. I’ve used this for the past couple of years and have to agree with the findings. Plus, it smells delightful. Oh, and it’s not POISON.
30. Yoga For Stress Management from Yoga with Adriene.
31. In final episode of “Parts Unknown,” Anthony Bourdain discusses death and Buddhism in Bhutan.