Kind and gentle reader: As you read this post, I am somewhere on the road on my way to Oregon, or maybe I’ve already arrived. This is a trip we make every other summer, when my whole tiny family (Eric and both dogs) makes the 1200 mile trip to a house on the Oregon Coast where we stay for anywhere from two weeks to two months. This summer, it’s two months. A good friend is staying at our house in Colorado to tend the garden. As I’ll be on vacation and not online as much as usual, these Monday posts will most likely be shorter. Feel free to share links in the comments of anything I missed.
1. On Being Worthy | Cody Coach Dana Falsetti. Dana Falsetti believed she was limited by her body her entire life. Now, she is doing what she once thought to be impossible. This is a yoga body.
2. This John Mulaney bit nails how rape culture makes the world less safe for women.
3. A Rise in Mediterranean Deaths. This is so sad, but important to be aware of. “Over eight days in May 2016, nearly 1,000 people drowned in the Central Mediterranean. The founder of the Migrant Offshore Aid Station (MOAS), Christopher Catrambone, spoke about the rising death toll in the central Mediterranean, driven by migrant drownings.”
4. Visible mending as an art form. Makes me want to put holes in stuff on purpose.
5. A Gentle Warrior’s Manifesto to End Busyness. I probably shared this already when it was first published, but it’s worth revisiting.
6. Pema Chödrön on how to enjoy life. “In two weeks, Lion’s Roar will publish Pema Chödrön: A Special Collector’s Edition; you can pre-order it now. [I did!] The special publication features some of Pema’s most powerful teachings, a first-of-its-kind biography, and an exclusive interview with Pema, conducted at her home, Gampo Abbey, in Nova Scotia. Read a preview of that conversation, in which Pema talks about what it means — and why it’s important — to enjoy our lives.”
7. If you ever get stuck in worry, READ THIS from Jamie Greenwood.
8. Grace VanderWaal: 12-Year-Old Ukulele Player Gets Golden Buzzer – America’s Got Talent 2016, my new favorite singer-songwriter-uke player, and she’s only 12 years old. I got on YouTube and listened to some of her other stuff, and she’s dreamy.
9. I was never raped but….
10. I feel like my brain is a jerk from Adam J. Kurtz. Mine too.
11. The True Story of the First Black Woman to Ever Run for President. “Meet Shirley Chisholm, the woman who survived assassination attempts and battled racism to become the first woman to run for the Democratic presidential nomination in 1972.”
12. Dad And Son Rescued 40 Dogs Left Behind During The Flood. To be honest, I can barely look at the pictures included with this post or think about it for too long. It devastates me to think of these animals being left behind, how scared and lonely, how many there were who probably didn’t get saved. But, I’m sharing this post because it includes a link to help take care of these dogs, and I want to celebrate this dad and son.
13. Michael Franti & Spearhead – Good to Be Alive Today (Acoustic Remix). “This song is to remind all of us of the good in the world, on the days when our souls are rocked by all of the bad news that surrounds us. A reminder to be grateful for all we have, at the same time, to tenaciously stand up for things in life that serve the greater good getting one step closer to a world where everyone can say “it’s good to be alive today.'”
14. People Are In Love With This Groom’s Reaction To Seeing His Bride Walk Down The Aisle. Really sweet.
15. Mandatory Lazy Days. My only problem with this idea is she recommends it only “maybe once a quarter.” I say why not once a week? A real actual full on sabbath day.