1. I’ve been afraid to share this from Andrea Scher. This is such an important post, and it’s not unlike what has happened to so many of us, both before we ask for help, when we try our best to gut our way through life (a football coach who taught social studies at my high school used to say, “suck it up and get tough”), and then when we finally reach out, we are often met with this sort of nonsense. Andrea fought for what she needed. So many others give up. Please don’t give up. ❤
2. Wild Writing Online starts in September! After close to five years writing with Laurie every week, I’m giving up my spot to start moving towards doing more teaching. But that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be writing with Laurie. She’s an amazing teacher and this is a life changing practice. Give yourself the best gift ever.
3. What I’m Holding Onto In This Epoch Of Autocratic Fuckery from Chuck Wendig. He’s one of those people who can tell the whole truth of what a mess things are and still somehow manage to make me feel better – that’s the kind of truth, the world view I want.
4. New Moon Tarot Challenge. Reading what Dr. Vickie had to say about her experience doing one of these challenges really made me want to try it. It started on August 11th, but there’s still time to jump in.
5. Marcella, an original Netflix series. I binged Season One in a little over two days. One of my guilty(not) pleasures are murder mystery shows set in London (or Wales, or some other European location where the scenery is beautiful but it rains a lot) that have a lead character who is someone with serious personal problems who also just so happens to be a brilliant detective. They break the rules, but also always catch the killer. Other favorites are Happy Valley, Broadchurch, River, and Hinterland. A twist on the genre is a lighter version set in the Caribbean (but the primary detective is still from London), Death in Paradise.
6. A 10-panel comic explores a subtle kind of racism many people of color experience.
7. Ep. 206 of Raise Your Hand and Say Yes: Camille T. Dungy on Living (and Navigating!) the Dream.
8. Sit Every Day. “Diana Winston on commitment to the practice of sitting, why we should sit regularly, and advice on how to keep yourself on schedule.”
9. What I’ve Learned From Helping Over 200 People Change Careers from Laura Simms.
10. Ten Ways to Fight Hate, a video from The Southern Poverty Law Center.
11. After Charlottesville, Alt-Right Groups Splinter, Distance From White Supremacy. In related news, What Charlottesville Changed, and Before ‘Unite the Right’ Rally, Trump Does Not Condemn Supremacists on The New York Times, and 11 million white Americans think like the alt-right, and The alt-right is debating whether to try to look less like Nazis.
12. Baltimore Cop Suspended After Viral Video Shows Him Brutally Beating Unarmed Man.
13. Judith Simmer-Brown to Distraught Shambhala Members: “Practice More.” (Notes and Transcript).
14. The “Reverse Racism is a Real Thing” Bingo Card.
15. Texas Church Offers ‘Free Mom Hugs’ At Pride Parade To Those Who Need Them.
16. Harvard Will Have Four Amazing Black Women Leading Its Schools, A First For The University. If we truly want diversity and inclusion, then let the Black women lead us.
17. New Pro Football Hall of Famer Randy Moss got hate mail for a tie he wore during his induction. In related news, Miami Dolphins Players Kneel For Anthem During NFL Preseason Opener.
18. Omarosa Confirms What We All Suspected: Trump’s a Racist Who Uses the N-Word. In related news, Trump Calls Omarosa ‘A Lowlife’ After N-Word Claim Surfaces, and Donald Trump’s Tweets About Black People, By the Numbers, and Soledad O’Brien Wants Journalists to Stop Playing Games and Call a Racist a Racist.
19. Florida Cop Handcuffs 11-Year-Old Black Boy Because ‘He Was Being Disrespectful.’ In related news, This police officer followed Demarcus around the neighborhood because he “didn’t belong in his city” (video), and A police officer tased an 11-year-old girl that was running away with a backpack full of items from Kroger (video).
20. Racist Minnesota Couple Accused in Attack on Black Man Allegedly Held Him to the Ground and Threatened to Run Him Over With a Truck.
21. $1 An Hour to Fight Largest Fire in CA History: Are Prison Firefighting Programs Slave Labor? Spoiler alert: Yes. And as such, it is sanctioned by the 13th amendment.
22. After 17 days and 1,000 miles, mother orca Tahlequah drops her dead calf.
23. A judge halts the deportation of a mother and daughter — and threatens Jeff Sessions with contempt of court.
24. ‘This Is Modern-Day Slavery’: How the Bail Industry Targets Women of Color.
25. This psychologist claimed she was an immigration lawyer apparently to threaten a Spanish-speaking family who parked outside her house. (video) In related news, Disturbing video shows a deranged racist white man kicking a black woman out of his white neighborhood for the crime of parking while black (video).
26. This cartoon from The Oatmeal describes what it’s like to be an introvert so perfectly.
27. Watch this little girl who was punished for taking a knee in class make her case at a school board meeting. (video)
28. Man who tied up, sexually assaulted 14-year-old girl will serve no jail time.
29. Black Lives Matter to Counter Protest ‘White Civil Rights Rally’ in DC. In related news, One year after Charlottesville, the alt-right is gathering again — in Washington, and White nationalists dwarfed by crowds of counterprotesters in Washington.
30. Black Senator Gets Cops Called On Him For Opposing Trump.
31. Best Carol Burnett Show Bloopers. (video) I love a good blooper reel almost more than anything.
32. First Child Detained by Trump Reportedly dies due to ‘Possible Negligence’.
33. White Women Aren’t Afraid of Black People. They Want Power.
34. Latino workers walked out in solidarity after months of alleged harassment. The man who recorded it all has since been fired for his viral video. (video)
35. After Losing Appeal, Brock Turner Must Register as a Sex Offender for Life. As it should be.
36. ‘It’s not rocket science darling. We’re just asking you to be thin and curvy, sexy and innocent!’ (video) *tee-hee*
37. The First Mass March for Black Lives Went Down 100 Years Ago.
38. Alex Jones’ Lawyer Seeks To Make Sandy Hook Parents’ Home Addresses Public. In related news, Alex Jones Urges Infowars Fans to Fight Back, and Send Money on The New York Times, and YouTube, Apple and Facebook Ban Infowars, Which Decries ‘Mega Purge’, and Alex Jones and Infowars Content Is Removed From Apple, Facebook and YouTube on The New York Times.
39. St. Louis Prosecutor Who Let Michael Brown’s Killer Walk Free Loses His Seat To Black City Council Member.
40. Kevin Hart Partners With the United Negro College Fund, Knowledge Is Power Program to Launch $600,000 Scholarship Program.
41. This little girl handed out breakfast burritos to firefighters battling the deadly Carr Fire. (video)
42. Chicago police parked a truck filled with Nike sneakers in front of a basketball court where underprivileged kids played, with the goal of entrapping them. “When the kids went to take shoes out, the police surprised them and arrested the teens.” (video) In related news, Railroad apologizes for using ‘bait truck’ to lure thieves in Chicago.
43. This YouTube channel is pure joy.
44. Reporters and media outlets are receiving grave death threats. Where could they have gotten that idea?
45. Getting a photo ID so you can vote is easy. Unless you’re poor, black, Latino or elderly.
46. White Americans Are Biggest Terror Threat in U.S.: Study.
47. ‘Plastered Peggy’ Lists Reasons Why Cop Shouldn’t Arrest Her, Claims She’s a ‘Very Clean, Thoroughbred, White Girl’.
48. Joe Biden will fight to stop parents rejecting their kids for being LGBT.
49. Don Lemon rips Trump over personal attack. (video) Watch this, for the sake of those without a voice.
50. Sounds Like David Duke Is Afraid BlacKkKlansman Will Make Him Look Like a Dumb Fool Instead of Just a Racist One.
51. ‘Breathing’ robot helps you sleep better. (video)
52. This little kid dreams of becoming the next Bruce Lee. (video)
53. Social Justice Sister: Ally, Actor or Accomplice? (video)
54. City Lawmakers Are Fighting to Remove Trump’s Hollywood Star for Good.
55. After he shared his idea for providing safe rides for the LGBTQ community to and from transition related appointments, his story went kinda viral. Now he’s on track to do even more good. (video)
56. A powerful video has surfaced in which a Texas father opens up about accepting his transgender son’s transition.
57. The 2nd Annual World Wypipo Tournament: Who is the Worst?
58. Every Commercial Ever. (video) Funny because it’s true.
59. White Michigan Cop Who Says He Faced Racial Taunts After DNA Test Showed He’s 18 Percent Black Settles With City for $65,000.
60. Data shows a surprising campus free speech problem: left-wingers being fired for their opinions.