1. Wisdom from Pema Chödrön. I’ve shared this quote a bazillion times because it’s one of my favorites, but I feel the need to share again. I heard a few people this weekend urge others to reframe the negative, focus on the positive, which isn’t exactly workable or sustainable or real. As Pema says, we need to make room for all of it.
We think that the point is to pass the test or overcome the problem, but the truth is that things don’t really get solved. They come together and they fall apart. Then they come together again and fall apart again. It’s just like that. The healing comes from letting there be room for all of this to happen: room for grief, for relief, for misery, for joy.
4. White feminism, white supremacy & the silencing of black women from Layla Seed. Do yourself (and the rest of us) a favor and watch the video.
5. The big break from Alexandra Franzen. Spoiler alert: “The big break is the moment you decide to take your dream seriously.”
6. What Fullness Is: On getting weight reduction surgery from Roxane Gay. In related news, Nobody Owes You Fat Positivity: On Weight Loss Surgery as “Betrayal.”
7. Can Sobriety Be as Interesting as Addiction? A Writer Wonders on The New York Times.
8. Troll Shows Exactly Why Article Was Necessary from Dances with Fat.
10. Love & Liberation Require Listening: An Open Essay to Marianne Williamson from Alexis P. Morgan.
14. Calling the Police on Black People Can Put Them in Danger. In related news, When Calling the Police Is a Privilege.
15. Recipe I want to try: Joanna Gaines’ Biscuit Recipe Is The Star Of Her ‘Magnolia Table’ Cookbook.
16. Lynching memorial leaves some quietly seething: ‘Let sleeping dogs lie.’ “The brutal new memorial to the south’s dark side has left some in Alabama frustrated and angry at its insistence on confronting the past.” Such bullshit. Until we are honest about it, confront it, and own it, it will continue to do damage. It doesn’t go away, the harm doesn’t disappear just because we refuse or resist the truth. Willful ignorance is toxic. In related news, A Lynching Memorial is Opening. The Country Has Never Seen Anything Like It. on The New York Times.
19. Watch out for baby bunnies nesting in your lawn. (video)
20. Bill Cosby is Found Guilty of Sexual Assault from The New York Times.
21. Turn into an angel with these wearable, moving wings. (video)
22. This is what white privilege looks like. (video)
23. This dog was used in dogfighting – until this woman stepped in and gave him a safe place to heal. (video) She may have given him a safe place to heal, but it was other dogs that taught him it was okay to just be a dog again.
28. We Are Each Other’s Keepers from Jena Schwartz.