1. Wisdom from Pema Chödrön. I’ve shared this quote a bazillion times because it’s one of my favorites, but I feel the need to share again. I heard a few people this weekend urge others to reframe the negative, focus on the positive, which isn’t exactly workable or sustainable or real. As Pema says, we need to make room for all of it.
We think that the point is to pass the test or overcome the problem, but the truth is that things don’t really get solved. They come together and they fall apart. Then they come together again and fall apart again. It’s just like that. The healing comes from letting there be room for all of this to happen: room for grief, for relief, for misery, for joy.
2. Waffle House shooting hero James Shaw Jr. raises $165,000 for victims.
3. The Rachel Dolezal Documentary Is a Hollow, Manipulative Spectacle.
4. White feminism, white supremacy & the silencing of black women from Layla Seed. Do yourself (and the rest of us) a favor and watch the video.
5. The big break from Alexandra Franzen. Spoiler alert: “The big break is the moment you decide to take your dream seriously.”
6. What Fullness Is: On getting weight reduction surgery from Roxane Gay. In related news, Nobody Owes You Fat Positivity: On Weight Loss Surgery as “Betrayal.”
7. Can Sobriety Be as Interesting as Addiction? A Writer Wonders on The New York Times.
8. Troll Shows Exactly Why Article Was Necessary from Dances with Fat.
9. Judge to Man Who Said Wearing ‘MAGA’ Hat Is Part of His Religion: GTFOHWTBS.
10. Love & Liberation Require Listening: An Open Essay to Marianne Williamson from Alexis P. Morgan.
11. 37 Brutally Honest Tweets By Women Tired Of The Male A$$holery.
12. Seattle Vacates Hundreds of Marijuana Charges Going Back 30 Years.
13. Your Fat Stigma Is Racist – Here Are 6 Ways to Shift That.
14. Calling the Police on Black People Can Put Them in Danger. In related news, When Calling the Police Is a Privilege.
15. Recipe I want to try: Joanna Gaines’ Biscuit Recipe Is The Star Of Her ‘Magnolia Table’ Cookbook.
16. Lynching memorial leaves some quietly seething: ‘Let sleeping dogs lie.’ “The brutal new memorial to the south’s dark side has left some in Alabama frustrated and angry at its insistence on confronting the past.” Such bullshit. Until we are honest about it, confront it, and own it, it will continue to do damage. It doesn’t go away, the harm doesn’t disappear just because we refuse or resist the truth. Willful ignorance is toxic. In related news, A Lynching Memorial is Opening. The Country Has Never Seen Anything Like It. on The New York Times.
17. W. Kamau Bell was kicked out of a California cafe in 2015, when the manager thought he was “harassing” his white wife and baby girl. (video)
18. A collage of the critters who have visited “The Log” over this past, almost year. (video)
19. Watch out for baby bunnies nesting in your lawn. (video)
20. Bill Cosby is Found Guilty of Sexual Assault from The New York Times.
21. Turn into an angel with these wearable, moving wings. (video)
22. This is what white privilege looks like. (video)
23. This dog was used in dogfighting – until this woman stepped in and gave him a safe place to heal. (video) She may have given him a safe place to heal, but it was other dogs that taught him it was okay to just be a dog again.
24. Is white America ready to confront its racism? Philosopher George Yancy says we need a ‘crisis.’
25. How to Be a Better White Person.
26. This Cosplayer Can Turn Himself Into Any Character, And The Result Is Disturbingly Good.
27. When Fat People Clap Back At Fatphobes.
28. We Are Each Other’s Keepers from Jena Schwartz.
29. Watch the full Michelle Wolf roast that set the entire internet ablaze after The White House Correspondents’ Dinner. (video)