This post started as a mashup of The Little Bliss List and Joy Jam, and as such is meant to celebrate: the little things that brought me hope and happiness this week, the sweet stuff of life, those small gifts that brought me joy this week. By sharing them, I not only make public my gratitude, but maybe also help you notice your own good stuff and send some positive energy out into the world.1.
1. Play. Specifically Dexter, him playing with Sam in the backyard, reminding me so much of when he was younger and would play and play, him with his babies, waiting outside the bathroom door for me this morning with his Little D in his mouth, tail wagging and head held low, Sam’s play bow, so graceful and long because of his crazy tall legs, but also being reminded of play by others, of how fearless and free we were as children and contemplating how to bring some of that back, how to remember, to be that again.
2. Pen Pals. I am being reminded of the pure joy of sending packets of hand written, doodled, dreamy and loopy love between friends. This feels playful, tangible, makes me feel like a kid again, so young and full of possibility.
3. Books. I started a few new ones, ordered a few more (I have a serious problem, y’all). As much as I love to write, I love to read. I wonder who I would be if I had been born in a place or time where women were (are?) kept illiterate. What would I do? Where would all that love, that longing go?
4. Clip on Collar Lights for the dogs. I clip these on the dogs’ harnesses on dark mornings (all of them this time of year), since they are both blackish. It makes them more visible. Along with my headlamp, you can’t miss us, and we can keep mostly clear of the ninjas who are out that early too.
5. Tribe. And all the technology and tools that make connecting with them possible. Whether it’s in an online class, a Skype session, an email, a handwritten letter, or across the table from each other over a cup of coffee, I am so grateful to know and be loved by so many strong, inspiring, kind, brilliant women.
Bonus Joy: Another week with Dexter. This has gone on for so much longer than I expected, and yet every week is worth noting, worth celebrating, worth remarking and giving an offering of gratitude, a heart full of it.