This post is a mashup of The Little Bliss List and Joy Jam, and as such is meant to celebrate: the little things that brought me hope and happiness this week, the sweet stuff of life, those small gifts that brought me joy this week. By sharing them, I not only make public my gratitude, but maybe also help you notice your own good stuff and send some positive energy out into the world.
1. The love and support of amazing women. Susan, Andrea, Hannah, Sherry, Julia, and Tina (and so many others who didn’t even realize they were) offered me so much kindness and comfort this week, (it was a rough one).
2. The last tomato of the season. We woke up this morning with a dusting of snow on our cars. The day before, I got home at 5pm and it was 78 degrees, and by 8pm it had dropped to 42. This means no more tomatoes, but last night before the full freeze I picked the last ones and fed them to Dexter, and the very last one was perfectly ripe and deep red. With his nose starting to bleed again (yes, the cancer is doing its thing), this will be his last tomato season, and that may have been the last one I ever pick and give him. And after I did, he pressed his nose into the palm of my hand and gave me a kiss.
3. The tree outside my office window. It’s amazing. And oh yeah, I’m on the third floor, so it’s big too.
4. Good news at the end of a long and stressful morning of tests. That’s really all I want to say about that right now, just know I cried with relief, and feel so much compassion for the other women who were there with me who didn’t get such good news.
5. Sitting on a patio on campus on the last warm day. At one point, a gust of wind blew golden leaves my direction, the sight and sound of which made me almost cry, it was so beautiful.