1. Fuck That! A Manifesto from Gala Darling.
2. More Consensus on Coffee’s Benefits Than You Might Think.
3. How not to talk to people with an eating disorder.
4. A Tiny Hamster And A Hedgehog Had A Tiny Tiki Party Because The Internet Is Amazing.
5. Nepal Earthquake Relief Coalition.
6. A Variety of Unprocessed Foods Cut into Uncannily Precise 2.5cm Cubes by Lernert & Sander.
7. Release Tension in the Psoas. “Our yoga practice is an opportunity to undo this chronic tension, and establish a deep and abiding sense of harmony in the body and mind.”
8. The Secret Life of a Scorpio on Elephant Journal.
9. 23 Brilliant Life Lessons From Anthony Bourdain.
10. Rats try to rescue others in distress, suggesting they feel empathy.
11. How to Get Rid of Clutter You Care About from Be More with Less.
12. In the Garden, May 14 on SouleMama.
13. How to Get Your Spouse on Board for Your Career Change from Laura Simms.
14. 3 Ways You’re Making Your Life Harder Than It Has To Be on Marc and Angel Hack Life.
15. the stylists: little nicki on SF Girl by Bay.
16. Wisdom from Brave Girls Club, two different messages, both ones I needed to hear,
Dear Spread-Too-Thin Girl….
Is it time to pare your life down to the handful of things that mean the most to you, and let the rest go so that you can give the very best of yourself to the very best things…instead of being spread in a too-thin layer all over the place?
Your heart knows when it’s time…and you will have the strength to do it.
And best of all…you will see enormous changes happen in your life when you let the unimportant things go and embrace the things that quietly sustain you and bring you joy.
It may not look like the most glamorous life….but it is one filled with joy, peace and harmony….one where laughter is a welcome and frequent companion…one where worries are few…where long meaningful conversations are many…..one that is waiting for you when you are ready to take the steps to get there.
You can do amazing things with the simplest things. You can have so little and be so happy. You can take small amounts of time and perform life-changing acts.
Is it time to simplify?
Simplify today…..one little thing at time. You can do it.
Dear Wise Girl,
Having a rough day? Stop and take a breath, and remember it’s important to stick to the facts, because we often make things up in our heads that get us into a tizzy that is hard to get out of. Fears are mean little fabulists.
Think about everything you have feared in your life, or even for the last 30 days. Think about what you have feared for the last 24 hours, in fact. Think about the stories that you made up in your head about those fierce fears, about all of the terrible and scary and devastating things that surrounded those fears, about how if those things happened, they would surely ruin your life.
Now think about whether or not ANY of those things came to pass, and whether they really did devastate your life. Sure, some yucky things actually DO happen, but a large majority of our fears are stories that we make up in our heads that never ever happen. Yet we waste SO MUCH TIME on them. Aren’t we silly creatures?
So stick to the facts. And if the facts are harsh and look like they might yield some difficult consequences, think about the WORST thing that could possibly happen, and then ask yourself if you could live through it and be okay. See? YOU CAN! And YOU WILL!!
Because you are a brave, brave girl.
17. On Unplugging from Work & Embracing Adventure from Rowdy Kittens.
18. Dear Writers: None Of Us Know What The Fuck We’re Doing on Terrible Minds. tl;dr:
The Five Constants:
1. Write A Lot (And To Completion)
2. Read A Lot (And Read Critically When You Do)
3. Think About Writing And Storytelling
4. Talk To Writers
5. Go Live A Life
19. A Guy Secretly Filmed His Mom For A Year To Help Her Find A Boyfriend.
20. Practicing Non-Judgment on Zen Habits.
21. Good stuff from Austin Kleon’s newsletter: Dear universe (form letter), and Karr to Syracuse grads: Don’t compare your twisted-up insides to others’ blow-dried outsides and a video of the same speech, and In a Mother’s Library, Bound in Spirit and in Print.
22. Video: 100 years of Aging a Soon-to-be Married Couple.
23. Man Cleans Up Entire River On His Way To Work.
24. The Last Day of Her Life, “When Sandy Bem found out she had Alzheimer’s, she resolved that before the disease stole her mind, she would kill herself. The question was, when?”
25. At the Coffeehouse by Jeff Oaks.
26. Melissa McCarthy has powerful words for image-obsessed Hollywood.
27. The Heart and the Bottle: A Tender Illustrated Fable of What Happens When We Deny Our Difficult Emotions on Brain Pickings.
My god. Number 24. I’ve been having this conversation more and more with people because with my family history, this scares the crap out of me. Thank you for sharing.