1. Wisdom from Geneen Roth, ending with such a good question,
This morning, as I begin preparing for our twice yearly retreat, I remembered something that I realized years ago, when I was struggling with my own weight challenges: that until and unless I wanted something more than I wanted to be thinner, I would never lose weight and keep it off. Not in a way that didn’t include deprivation and judgment. For myself, I had to want to know what was at the bottom of my eating. I had to want to touch that hunger. To become aware that the whole thing wasn’t really about food, but about something much more profound–and it was that that I had to want to touch, know, heal. Once I did that (and it was a process, not a one-time event), the weight came off, and stayed off for all these years.
So–what do you want more than you want to lose weight? What do you really really want?
3. Sustainability and the Sacred on Huffington Post, in which Llewellyn Vaughan-Lee says,
If we are to sustain this world of wonder, what is essential in our response is not just action but a shift in consciousness, a shift away from seeing the Earth as something separate from ourselves, as a resource to be used and abused. Real sustainability is not the sustainability of our present lifestyle — our image of progress and economic growth — but the sustainability of a sacred Earth, rich in biodiversity and wonder.
4. How I see my dog vs. how my dog sees me on The Oatmeal.
5. A Short Study in Insurrection, Jennifer Boykin on Jonathan Fields’ blog.
6. New Wheels & a Lesson in Confidence from Vivienne McMaster.
7. “The antidote to exhaustion isn’t rest. It’s wholeheartedness.” ~ David Whyte
8. Love your sadness. It won’t last. from Danielle LaPorte.
9. Jessica Jackley: Poverty, money — and love, a TED Talk by the founder of Kiva.org. The last few minutes of this talk are amazing.
10. HSP That’s Me from Hannah Marcotti.
12. Daily Truthbomb from Danielle LaPorte, “You can always find someone who thinks you’re an idiot. Speak up any way.”
13. The Forest House, East Sussex. I posted about this last week, but this week SF Girl by Bay shared even more of the pictures, along with a link to the original site with the full set. I want to go to there.
14. New paintings from Paul Bond. The way he describes Eleanor Dreams of a Miraculous Rescue, made me tear up. You see, I know the real Eleanor, who I called Danger Baby and now Danger Kid, because every time I see her, I want one just like her. I am going to happily settle for a print of this painting instead. Paul says this about it,
The resulting scene became a story of innocence. Of a child’s belief that she can always protect and nurture those things that she loves the most. And a prayer that the adult Eleanor’s of the world never stop cherishing whatever calls to them.
15. Notes on being a hermit from Susannah Conway.
16. What’s in my pantry? from Kris Carr.
17. In Praise of Safety by Rachel Cole.
19. This is Water, a cool video using David Foster Wallace’s 2005 Kenyon commencement speech.
20. Wisdom shared by Justine Musk on Facebook,
“What makes the content you create awesome is that it’s a story told through your unique lens. It’s you, telling a story. It’s you not giving a fuck about anything but telling that story.” ~Paul Jarvis
22. Pumpcast News, Part 1 – The Tonight Show with Jay Leno. I want to be friends with these people.
23. Sunni Chapman’s design site, Salty Olive Design. *sob* #itissobeautiful Does anyone have $7000 they’d want to give me so Sunni could build me a website?
24. Sad Cat Diary by Ze Frank
25. Reflections on the Road Back from Insanity on Elephant Journal by Kara-Leah Grant, who gives one of the best descriptions of yoga, ever.
It’s about connection. It’s about being open. It’s about being vulnerable and true and courageous.
It’s about yoga as a path to self-realization.
Not one blinding flash when we suddenly become enlightened.
But those small moments of self-realization that happen every time we step on the yoga mat. When another illusion drops away. Another samskara dissolves. Another insight arises.
That’s what it’s about. That’s what yoga as a path to self-realization means.
We realize, moment by moment, all that we are not. And one day, when all that we are not drops away… there we are.
26. Stop Caring What Others Think and Stand Up for Your Dogs on Notes from a Dog Walker. I say amen.
27. Another interview from The Conversation, Ashley Madekwe.
28. 3D Face Masks Created from DNA Found in Public Spaces. So freaky.
30. Show Your Work! My Creative Mornings Talk from Austin Kleon.
31. Amy Seeley singing Beloved, frogs and bugs and maybe crickets singing in the background. No matter the version, the piano in this song wrecks me.
32. 7 Behaviors to Stop Tolerating in Others from Marc and Angel Hack Life. I would add that these are behaviors we should also attempt to stop doing ourselves.
33. “Do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one” ~Bruce Lee
35. This wisdom from Thubten Chodron: Wishing others to be happy doesn’t mean we give them everything they want, because sometimes what they want can be harmful. Wishing them to be happy entails wanting them to be free from pain and loneliness.
36. Fat Shame, (btw: there is language, but I love what she has to say).