Today in my Facebook memories, a post showed up from two years ago, a list of the reasons behind what I post and share. It was particularly interesting to me because I’ve been thinking a lot about the how and why of my social media use. I was surprised to see that how I explained what I was doing two years ago is still quite accurate today. Nothing’s really changed.
20 Reasons Why I Post/Share Things
1. Because I’m a teacher and thus compelled to share what I learn in the hope that it will be of benefit to others.
2. Because I’m outraged or horrified and need company with that so I don’t give up, run and hide, sink into despair or shrink in terror.
3. Because I want to make it clear what “side” I’m on.
4. To dare someone, anyone to disagree so I can practice my dialogue skills (which are weak, I must admit).
5. To instigate a dialogue because I’m unsure or confused.
6. So I can easily find the info later.
7. To curate a collection of things for my weekly “Something Good” list (so far there are 365 of them, the same number as the days in a FULL year).
8. Because I want you to like me, think I’m cool.
9. To feel like I’m doing something.
10. To cheer you up, encourage you, share joy.
11. To motivate, inspire you.
12. Because I’m bored.
13. Because I need attention.
14. Because I’m overwhelmed and need you to help me “hold this.”
15. Because I’m trying to find my people.
16. Because I think I should.
17. Because it’s so funny or cute and I think it might make you laugh or even cry.
18. Because I think it’s going to go viral and I want to be “first.”
19. Because I’m getting paid to (I’m in charge of the social media accounts where I work).
20. Because I haven’t in a while and I want you to know I’m still here.