4. Blackface Leads to Fraternity Suspension at Cal Poly on The New York Times. In related news (i.e. whyte people being stupid), Philly Starbucks arrests: What we know (and what we don’t) and Black Teen Who Missed Bus to School Gets Shot at While Trying to Ask for Directions and Teen with full ride to 20 colleges requests public apology from Fox affiliate in order to air interview. The foundation of the “American Dream” is white supremacy and racism. This is what DT and people like him mean by “Make America Great Again.” Bullshit like these stories is why #BlackLivesMatter is necessary. And don’t be confused or willfully ignorant about what’s happening – people are dying, being harmed and murdered. It’s real, true, and dire. The people living this experience have been trying to tell us and we haven’t listened, haven’t helped. It’s TIME.
5. The Last O.G. I watched the pilot of this show for free on the TBS app, and it was so good I immediately bought it on Amazon Prime so I could watch it. So far, it’s really good.
Making a career in creativity is itself a hugely creative act. It doesn’t just spontaneously happen. You have to build it, step by step, just as you do the individual creations themselves. It’s time plus dedication plus skill – whether innate or cultivated, ideally both.
So…how? Who the hell would put themselves through something like that? More particularly, why, when there are easier ways to make a living, with more guarantees.
Because of the joy of it.
7. The Most Important Writing Advice You Need Right Now from Chuck Wendig on Terrible Minds.
So this is how it works: These young men feel entitled to a sense of belonging and community, of holding unchallenged moral authority over women and children, and of feeling that they count in the world and that their lives matter.
Experiencing threats to the lives they feel they deserve leads these young men to feel ashamed and humiliated. And it is this aggrieved entitlement – entitlement thwarted and frustrated – that leads some men to search for a way to redeem themselves as men, to restore and retrieve that sense of manhood that has been lost.
10. Easy as 1-2-3, a mediation on making art.
11. Even if you don’t feel ready from Alexandra Franzen.
12. 5 Books that Changed Junot Díaz’s Life. (video)
14. Devonte Hart’s biological mom: They gave my kids ‘to monsters.’ Just when you think this story couldn’t get any worse…
18. Jack in the Box. (video) It seems like the way a child reacts to this is a good indicator of how they are going to handle the chaos of the rest of their lives.
20. I Feel Pretty, Not Delusional by Ragen Chastain from Dances with Fat.
22. A Few Things to Know About American Sign Language. (video)