1. 12 Ideas For Sensitive Introverts To Make A Difference In The World (Without Getting Overwhelmed), which reminds me of a post I wrote, Activism for Introverts and Highly Sensitive People.
2. Wisdom from Pema Chödrön, “The peace that we are looking for is not peace that crumbles as soon as there is difficulty or chaos. Whether we’re seeking inner peace or global peace or a combination of the two, the way to experience it is to build on the foundation of unconditional openness to all that arises. Peace isn’t an experience free of challenges, free of rough and smooth, it’s an experience that’s expansive enough to include all that arises without feeling threatened.”
3. 3-year-old makes cupcakes. (video) Happy Birthday, Roman!
6. “Sandman”: Netflix Orders Neil Gaiman Comic Book Adaptation Straight to Series. This series was my introduction to graphic novels. So good.
7. Border Control agents have a secret Facebook group that’s full of racist, sexist memes. In related news, Taking Migrant Children From Parents Is Illegal, U.N. Tells U.S. on The New York Times, and How Regular Americans Can Help Reunite Migrant Families, also on The New York Times, and Highlights magazine denounces family separations in a blistering new editorial, and Taking Action on Immigrant Detention a summary of reported recommendations (Google doc), and This furniture company is facing backlash over its business ties to migrant child detention centers — now its employees are walking out in protest (video), and These Are The Companies Profiting From Detaining Migrants At Border Concentration Camps, and The Youngest Known Child Separated From His Family at the U.S. Border Under Trump on The New York Times.
8. American Border Study: Two Bodies in a River, a poem by Jed Myers.
9. F.D.A. Names 16 Brands of Dog Food That May Be Linked to Canine Heart Disease on The New York Times. We recently switched our dogs off a grain-free food. We had to go with Purina, because it’s the only one we could find with salmon as a protein source that wasn’t also grain-free (Sam is allergic to chicken), and our vet said Purina is one of the only companies who has a canine nutritionist on staff to help formulate their foods.
11. Open Letter: To my Trump-supporting family. “So now, two and half years into the alternative reality, I’ve come to grips that this isn’t some insane nightmare. This is reality. And seeing how Trump supporters (yourselves included) have behaved since then, I really was a fool for ever believing America stood for anything else.”
14. The Playboy Interview With Tarana Burke. “A candid conversation with the activist who launched Me Too more than a decade before Weinsteingate.”
15. ‘I Carry It Within Me.’ Novelist Colson Whitehead Reminds Us How America’s Racist History Lives On. In related news, This Death Row Lawyer Says Americans Won’t Be Free Until We Face Our Racist History. “An HBO documentary about Bryan Stevenson sounds an urgent call to examine the nation’s past, from slavery to lynching.”
28. ‘She’s Not My Type’: Accused Again of Sexual Assault, Trump Resorts to Old Insult on The New York Times. “E. Jean Carroll, a columnist for Elle magazine, said in a CNN interview on Monday that she fought back when Donald Trump sexually assaulted her in a Bergdorf Goodman fitting room.”