1. This is an ongoing contemplation for me: The ‘King’ of Shambhala Buddhism Is Undone by Abuse Report from The New York Times. In related news, Matthew Remski and I talk about Shambhala, guru-culture, and my blind spots from Susan Piver (I haven’t had a chance to watch the video or read his article yet, but I plan to), and Confessions of a Dharma Sex Kitten.
2. A draft agenda for fat justice. This is such an important clarification and call to action.
3. Inside the Radical, Uncomfortable Movement to Reform White Supremacists. “As hate groups have surged, so has the number of extremists trying to escape.” In related news, from the same source (Mother Jones), Trump Says White Supremacist Terror Is Fake News. These Chilling Cases Prove Otherwise.
6. Go with your hut from Alexandra Franzen.
This is the voice that, these days, I call my “hut,” which stands for “heart + gut.” Your hut is not the voice of reason, logic, or Excel spreadsheets. Your hut is the voice of instinct and intuition, that inexplicable feeling of what’s right for you and you alone. Your hut doesn’t always speak in words. Sometimes it speaks in feelings, tingles, an invisible hand on your shoulder, a fire in your belly, tears in your eyes that won’t stop.
7. A Buddhist Teacher’s 5 Ways to Resist on Lion’s Roar. “If the state of things sociopolitical has you downhearted, says Jan Willis, action is the only way to bring back hope. Here’s her advice for making the most of your bravery, your voice, and your vote.”
9. Florida Police Chief Told Cops to Pin Crimes on Black Teens, Adults to Boost Crime Stats. In related news, Cop Fired For Calling Black People ‘Alabama Porch Monkeys’ … Then Re-Hired, and Man Who Drove Through Antwon Rose Protest, Ran Over Demonstrator, Only Charged With Misdemeanor, and A passenger racially abused this Muslim woman on a bus to Staten Island (video), and ‘Coupon Carl’ Calls Cops on Black Woman at CVS for Allegedly Using a Forged Coupon, But Was Busted Himself for … Forgery Less Than 2 Years Ago, and Woman Who Beat Elderly Mexican Man with a Brick on July 4 Charged With Attempted Murder, and Woman Studying Outside Grocery Store Attacked by Drunken Racist, and Papa John’s CEO Attempts Damage Control But Not An Apology, and These Two White Women Attacked Their Hispanic Neighbors And Called The Police On Themselves, and Puerto Rico Governor Wants Officer Fired Over Flag Incident Caught on Video on The New York Times, and California Prosecutor Suspended After Vile Attack On Maxine Waters, and Racist jerk attacks Latina for wearing a Puerto Rico shirt (video), and #SummerJobWhileBlack: Child Gets Cops Called on Him for Delivering Newspapers, and #NaptimeNancy Is The New #PermitPatty — And She Works For Harvard.
10. Chicago Neighborhood Explodes After Officer Kills Popular Black Barber; Police Say He Was ‘Exhibiting Characteristics’ of an Armed Person. In related news, any time there is a riot, it’s good to remember what Martin Luther King Jr. said,
And I must say tonight that a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it America has failed to hear? … It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice and humanity.
11. An Open Letter to All White Women Seeking Redemption. In related news, The Most Dangerous Person in America Is The White Woman, and This Is the America White People Wished For. This Is the America White People Want.
12. #CaucasianCallingTax: White People Need to Be Taxed for Wasting Police Officers’ Time. Agreed. In related news, Racist Caucasian Crusaders, It’s a Thing (video), and After Calling 911 On Black Family, Subway Worker Placed On Leave. And the winner is this one, whose title makes you think it’s an article from The Onion, but it’s not, it’s real: White Woman Calls Cops on California Man Chilling in His Car Listening to Yoga CD.
13. ‘See Ya Later, Suckas!’ The Obituary of a 5-Year-Old Boy in His Own Words on The New York Times.
16. A Nervous Cat Helped This Guy Feel Connected To The World (video). “When this guy’s friends asked him to help walk their nervous cat Sawyer, he was skeptical at first. But Nick was having trouble forming relationships, so he decided to give it a try. Today on Soulmates, watch how Nick and Sawyer formed a very special bond that helped them both put aside their anxieties and have beautiful adventures together.”
17. 60 Second Docs Presents Sidewalk Confessions (video).
18. CSU caught a professor forging an offer letter to boost his pay. They kept him another year. This is some serious bullshit.
19. 12 benefits of having a cat (video).
20. Black Culture Problem? (video)
21. United Shades of America: Native Hawai’i (video).
23. Weird Things Couples Do With Their Dogs (video).
25. Me when fav songs comes on in the car (video).
26. Congress is only 20% female. What if it were 50/50? (via America From Scratch • PBS) (video)
29. Lula gets a new puppy. (video)
31. Gorilla encounter. (video)