1. This sprinter ran through a rainbow tunnel for Pride Month. (video) In related #BlackGirlMagic news, Not only is this young girl taking on the boys in motocross, she’s on her way to becoming the first-ever champ from Africa. (video)
2. Immigration horror stories: Reporters Visit Another Texas Facility Where Children Are Kept In Cages, and Worker at Migrant Kids Shelter Quits After Being Told to Enforce No Hugs Rule, and Texas now has a tent city for immigrant children separated from their families at the border (video), and ICE Plans to Start Destroying Records of Immigrant Abuse, Including Sexual Assault and Deaths in Custody, and Congresswoman: Migrant Mothers She Met In Detention ‘Have No Idea’ Where Kids Are, and Farmworkers In California Fearful After Immigrant Couple Dies While Fleeing ICE, and Trump keeps blaming Democrats for his own policy of family separation, and How Trump’s family separation policy became what it is today, and The Government Has No Plan for Reuniting the Immigrant Families It Is Tearing Apart.
In related news, Trump Administration Launches Effort to Strip Citizenship From Those Suspected of Naturalization Irregularities, and this related Twitter thread, and this video of a recent White House Press Conference, and America has a haunting history of tearing apart non-white families (video), and ‘Barbaric’: America’s cruel history of separating children from their parents.
If you are as outraged as me, Here’s How You Can Help Fight Family Separation at the Border, and How To Help Families Separated At The Border, and Here’s How You Can Help Fight Family Separation at the Border, and Hundreds of protesters gathered outside of a federal detention center to demand Trump stop separating immigrant families (video).
3. People being assholes to other people: ER Doctor Suspended After Mocking Patient Suffering From Anxiety Attack, and Florida Police Officer Resigns After Being Caught on Camera Calling Black Man a ‘Piece of Shit [N-Word],’ and This man harassed a Black mother vacationing with her 5-year-old daughter about hygiene because he was concerned about diseases in a hotel pool (video), and Video Shows Border Patrol SUV Hitting Native American Man, Then Driving Away on The New York Times, and Man harassing people in the Beacon Hill Community in Seattle (video), and White Man Who Trashed Homeless Black Man’s Belongings Arrested on Suspicion of 1st-Degree Robbery, and Florida (St. Petersburg) Republican Mayoral Candidate Paul Congemi just left his constituents speechless with this disgusting rant (video).
4. Why whyte women terrify me: Trumpism Finds a Safe Space at Conservative Women’s Conference on The New York Times, and Missouri Waitress Fired Over ‘N-Word Hunting’ Video Swears She Isn’t Racist, Claims to Have Black Friends.
9. My friend Susie made this beautiful painting (video), “I woke up today completely despondent about our country, and the current situation at our border with Mexico. Families are being ripped apart. This is not the first time our country has perpetrated this kind of horror and harm on people who are ‘other’…other than white, other than affluent, other than privileged. And it offends me and breaks my heart and makes me feel completely impotent. So today I went to my easel to paint out my pain.”
11. Watch Painfully Shy 13-Year-Old Singer Slay On ‘America’s Got Talent’. I’m such a sucker for these videos.
12. These kinetic wind sculptures will hypnotize you (video).
15. The Journey Through Loss and Grief, a TED Talk. “In her brutally honest, ironically funny and widely read meditation on death, “You May Want to Marry My Husband,” the late author and filmmaker Amy Krouse Rosenthal gave her husband Jason very public permission to move on and find happiness. A year after her death, Jason offers candid insights on the often excruciating process of moving through and with loss — as well as some quiet wisdom for anyone else experiencing life-changing grief.”
17. Summer recipe I want to try: Honey Mustard Chicken Salad.
19. ‘Queer As Folk’ Cast Reunites For The First Time In 13 Years. cried so hard when this show ended, loved the British version too.
21. LISTEN to this 13 year old boy sing this song. (video)
22. Watch Cameron Esposito’s Rape Jokes. “Rape Jokes is a standup special about sexual assault from a survivor’s perspective. Proceeds benefit RAINN, the United States’ largest anti-sexual violence organization.”
23. Setting Free The Sacred Cows Of Writing Advice from Chuck Wendig.
24. 10,000 Buddhas and Counting on Lion’s Roar. “Inspired by ancient Buddhist artwork on cave walls, Amanda Giacomini set out on a mission to paint 10,000 Buddhas all over America. Lilly Greenblatt tells her story.”
25. How far behind? from Seth Godin.
27. Wisdom from Pema Chödrön,
But it’s not impermanence per se, or even knowing we’re going to die, that is the cause of our suffering, the Buddha taught. Rather, it’s our resistance to the fundamental uncertainty of our situation. Our discomfort arises from all of our efforts to put ground under our feet, to realize our dream of constant okayness. When we resist change, it’s called suffering. But when we can completely let go and not struggle against it, when we can embrace the groundlessness of our situation and relax into its dynamic quality, that’s called enlightenment, or awakening to our true nature, to our fundamental goodness. Another word for this is freedom—freedom from struggling against the fundamental ambiguity of being human.
28. Wisdom from Francis Bacon, “Begin doing what you want to do now. We are not living in eternity. We have only this moment, sparkling like a star in our hand and melting like a snowflake.”
29. Resisting Fatphobia (A Social Justice Perspective on Size) from Isabel Foxen Duke.