1. RIP Anthony Bourdain. Anthony Bourdain, Renegade Chef Who Reported From the World’s Tables, Is Dead at 61 and Tony Was a Symphony’: Friends and Fans Remember Anthony Bourdain on The New York Times.
2. Stretching, wisdom from Seth Godin.
3. Listen to ‘Dear Sugars’: Trust Your Body — With Hilary Kinavey & Dana Sturtevant on The New York Times.
6. Summer reading assignment from Austin Kleon.
8. Is It Wrong To Shame Shamers? from Dances with Fat. Because this, “People are allowed to believe whatever they want. But when they try to turn their personal beliefs into actions that harm you and/or harm others, you have every right to speak up and fight back.”
9. 5 ways Buddhist communities can take part in social change on Lion’s Roar.
10. Morcheeba has a new album out, Blaze Away. Their album Big Calm is still one of my favorites.
11. People being racist assholes (and this was just this week, just a sampling): Racist Missouri Waitress Fired After ‘N——r Hunting’ Video, and Racist lady attacks Hispanic woman at the mall because she dared to have blonde hair (video), and Racist lady harasses Hispanic shoppers checking out at the supermarket (video), and Star Wars has a white male fandom problem, and Star Wars actress Kelly Marie Tran faced so much racism and sexism that she had to leave Instagram (video), and and Trump’s deportation force was just exposed using a trick right out of the Nazi playbook, and A family was separated at the border, and this distraught father took his own life, and Woman Describes Border Patrol Agents Abuse Of Power After Ugly Confrontation On A Bus, and UPS Employee Fired After Posting That Black ‘Thugs’ Deserve Police Violence, and Florida Man Sets Black Neighbor’s ‘Flashy’ Car on Fire, Calls Him Racial Slur: Report, and Student From Iowa Killed 3 Weeks After ICE Sent Him Back To Mexico, and Food Truck Worker Hurls Bottle, Racial Epithet at Black Woman After She Tries to Pay With Change, and Ben Carson Backs Off Newest HUD Plan, Which Would Raise Rent for Poor Households by 20 Percent, and Chicago Police Defend Handcuffing 10-Year-Old Boy Mistaken For Armed Teen, and When My Neighbors Called the Cops on Me, and White Teacher Makes Instagram Post Mocking Black Elementary Student’s Hair, and CrossFit’s Spokesman Fired After Saying LGBT Pride Is A “Sin”, and ICE agents went undercover and offered gardening workers doughnuts before arresting 114 people (video), and A Trump supporter spat racist vitriol at this Asian-American woman on the Metro (video).
13. This 6-year-old helped over 1000 dogs to find a home. (video)
16. Cute babies. (video)
17. Restaurants Boycott Brooklyn, NY, Army Base After Guard Called ICE on Deliveryman. This is what resistance looks like.
20. Roxane Gay: ‘No one is guaranteed love or affection.’ “The author of Bad Feminist and Hunger has strong words for ‘incels’, harassers in publishing and diet gurus.”
21. “Little girls don’t stay little forever…” (video)
24. Georgia Cop Fired for Ramming Fleeing Suspect With Patrol Car Gets New Job as Sheriff’s Deputy in Neighboring County. This is so disgusting, infuriating. The sheriff who hired him had “known him since he was a baby” and “In talking to Saulters the first question he asked was if our citizens supported law enforcement. Without hesitation I assured him they did and that we have excellent people that live in our county. I have no reservations about Dep. Saulters serving this community. As a citizen of Oglethorpe County you will find the wisdom of this decision in getting a deputy of this caliber. If you still have concerns I will discuss them with you if you contact me. If you are not an Oglethorpe County resident, I wouldn’t worry about it.” Fuck you, Sheriff David Gabriel.
25. Florida Stopped Background Checks On Concealed Weapon Permits For A Year. “The employee responsible said she couldn’t remember her information to log in to a national database that keeps track of criminals.”
31. This super dad-erina came to rescue his daughter when she broke in tears on stage. (video) My favorite part of this is when a guy comes from the side and offers to hold the baby, and the dad is like, “I’ve got this.”
34. When a volunteer hunts for likes on social media. (video)
36. Former Fox Analyst Calls Network “Propaganda Machine”. Things for me that are indicators we won’t agree about much of anything: you watch Fox News, you voted for Trump, and you don’t read books.
37. Body Positivity Is a Scam. “How a movement intended to lift up women really just limits their acceptable emotions. Again.”
39. Sleepy puppy. (video)
42. How Current Eating Disorder Discourse Fails The LGBTQ Community. And How We Can Change That. “Treatment needs to be a gender diverse and an inclusive environment.”
46. We Can’t Wait to Read Fatventure Mag. “After a successful Kickstarter, the first issue will feature fat-identified women and nonbinary writers and artists.”
48. ‘My dog thinks he’s an opera singer.’ (video)
50. She locked herself out of her house, but her dog was able to get her back in. (video) Good by, Sam!