3. National bail out, a really great cause. “Over 60 percent of people in jail in the United States are being detained while they await trial. They’re not serving time as a punishment. They’ve been found guilty of no crime. Instead, in the majority of cases, money is the barrier to freedom. They languish in jail because the bail amount far exceeds what they and their families can afford. Their poverty alone imprisons them. The result is a two-tiered system of justice: one for those who have and one for those who do not.” In related news, This movement is paying bail for Black women on Mother’s Day. (video)
5. 25 Influential American Muslims. “We asked American Muslims to name the most influential people in their fields. Here’s what they said.”
6. Colorado State University Tour Incident Is Nothing New for Native Students, “Our very existence as Native peoples in what is currently known as the United States is constantly seen as a threat.” In related news, This security officer said he was going to call the cops on a student. The reason? A Cherokee Tribal ID card (video), and Teens’ experience shows campus reality for Native Americans.
7. CWI Traditional Birth Center, Native American-Centered Women’s Health Collective in Pojoaque, NM. Another good cause.
8. True Secret of Writing (I of II), an Upaya Dharma Podcast with Natalie Goldberg.
9. Wisdom from Carl Sagan by way of A Design So Vast, “For small creatures such as we, the vastness is bearable only through love.”
11. How I Discovered the Four Noble Truths of Love from Susan Piver.
12. The Eternal Question: What Should I Write? from Chuck Wendig on Terrible Minds. He shares two specific questions here to ask yourself if you are a writer, but it seems to me that these are very useful questions, especially for any of us who are following our own path.
13. #CookingOutWhileBlack: White Woman Calls Cops on Black People Cooking Out in Oakland, Calif., Park. The community’s response to this was so great: Black Oakland Electric Slides on Racism by Throwing Big Ass Cookout in Park Where White Lady Called Cops. In related news, Should I call the cops?, and ‘I Quit’: Georgia Officer Resigns After Dragging 65-Year-Old Woman From Car During Traffic Stop, and North Carolina Waffle House Customer Choked by Police Officer After Taking Sister to Prom, and Supermarket Employee Fired After Denying Black Couple a Money Order Over ‘Fraud’ Concerns, and A Black Yale Student Took a Nap in a Dorm Common Room. A White Classmate Called the Cops on Her, and How white women use strategic tears to silence women of colour, and When she wouldn’t give her landlord an ultrasound photo, woman lost her apartment, and Manager Loudly Reads Store’s Theft Policy to Black Customers, Calls Security When Asked Why.
14. Dentists apologize for ‘free whitening’ ad that poses white dentists in cultural garb. In related news, North Carolina Dentists Apologize After Cosplaying in Native American, Japanese Clothing for ‘Whitening’ Service.
16. Toys R Us Workers Fight for Severance While Executives Walk Away With Millions. This is who we are, capitalism in action.
17. Lesbian teacher claims discrimination after showing class photo of future wife. If this school holds this standard for everyone, any teacher who shows a picture of their spouse or talks about them should also be fired for “promoting their lifestyle.”
18. ‘Brooklyn Nine-Nine’ Officially Revived at NBC. Woo-hoo!
19. Black activist jailed for his Facebook posts speaks out about secret FBI surveillance. “Rakem Balogun spoke out against police brutality. Now he is believed to be the first prosecuted under a secretive US effort to track so-called ‘black identity extremists.’”
21. ICE raided this family home with full riot gear when they refused to let them in to arrest their husband and father. (video) ICE is the worst.
26. Childish Gambino’s ‘This Is America’ Has Been Colonized. I have to imagine that Nicole Arbour and Tomi Lahren are besties. Neither one can keep their mouth shut about shit they know nothing about.
27. A Mother’s Day Poem for Humans from Jena Schwartz.