1. Take Heart: Finding Celebration No Matter What. “A virtual Valentine’s event for anyone who is divorced, bereaved, broken up, feeling blue, or simply needs an added dose of self-love.” A free mini class from my dear friend Sherry. In related news, Be Your Own True Love: A Self-Compassion Mini Retreat – Body Positive Yoga, a free, 90 minute workshop. It’s on the 13th and Sherry’s is on the 14th, so you could do both!
2. Make your space more inclusive from Karen Walrond on Chookooloonks.
3. All things green and good, a Pinterest board from SF Girl.
4. 200 Women who will change the way you see the world. “200 Women is a book and exhibition founded on original interviews and accompanying photographic portraits. This landmark project is the realisation of an epic global journey to find two hundred women with diverse backgrounds, and to ask them what really matters to them.”
5. Tayari Jones Writes About People with Problems, Not Problems with People. “Her latest, ‘An American Marriage,’ is about race and incarceration—but mostly it’s about three people with feelings.” Y’all, I just started reading this book last night, and I could not put it down! That hasn’t happened for me in a long time, and I’m enjoying it so much. Oprah agrees with me, as it’s her latest Book Club pick.
6. 3 Reasons We Cannot Cater to White Friends Who Say ‘I’m Not Racist’, an older article but it’s clear some of us still aren’t getting it. In related news, How To Easily Be A White Ally To Marginalized Communities, and White Supremacy Roundup: 4 Stories That Show How Institutional Racism Works, and
5 Valuable Ways to Use Your White Privilege to Fight Anti-Black Racism.
7. A Crash Course in Diversifying Your Bookshelf. “Is your reading list looking a little monochrome? We’ve compiled 15 books to help you broaden your horizons.”
10. Weight Watchers is targeting teens with a new free program. That’s a problem. My eating disorder started at 14 years old. I struggled and suffered, sometimes to the point of being suicidal, for the next 30 years. The fact that Weight Watchers is making this effort to do the same to other young women, girls, is devastating.
12. Because Facts. (video) “Guns, berets, and leather jackets are what we typically associate with the Black Panther Party. But did you know the Panthers were instrumental in bringing healthcare to the communities they served?”
13. 10 Years After She Went Missing, A Black Lab Is Returned To Her Owners. She looks so much like Sam! In related news, Woman Adopts A Senior Dog — Then Realizes It’s Her First Best Friend. “I never thought I’d see my dog again, but I just knew in my heart that it was her.”
14. Watch the funniest girl scout cookie story of all time on Snap Judgement. (video)
17. Andrea Gibson – “Orlando” Live from Detroit. (video) “In hopes that we continue to remember. In hopes that we not put a time limit on grief. In hopes that we build something much kinder. In hopes that we become the love we are meant to become.” In related news, That Moment Your Secret Comes Out. (video)
18. Hear Their Voices: 10 Must-Reads for Black History Month. In related news, two more great reading lists curated by Camille Dungy: Necessary New Books by Black Writers and Ten Essential Black Authors to Read During Black History Month — and Every Month.
19. Recipe I want to try: Vanilla Clementine Bread.
20. The Betrayal. Two women refuse to leave the side of a stranger who suffers a tragedy while on vacation.
21. Can I Enjoy the Art but Denounce the Artist? “Roxane Gay takes a look at what happens when we find out our favorites aren’t who they appear to be.”
22. Baby hamsters. (video)
23. Black Lives Matter Activist Who Snatched Confederate Flag Killed In New Orleans. I finished reading When They Call You a Terrorist: A Black Lives Matter Memoir the night before this news broke. I recommend you do the same, read the book I mean.
24. Nestlé Makes Billions Bottling Water It Pays Nearly Nothing For. “The company’s operation in Michigan reveals how it’s dominated the industry by going into economically depressed areas with lax water laws.”
25. Lina Iris Viktor Says Kendrick Lamar Stole Her Art for His New Music Video. In related news, from The New York Times, Artist Says Kendrick Lamar Video for ‘Black Panther’ Song Stole Her Work.
28. There are no white exceptions, wisdom from Jena Schwartz.