1. Wisdom from Susan Piver,
Meditation is not a life-hack intended for self-improvement nor is it about stress-reduction. It is a discipline. There are no short cuts. It is the opposite of an escape. Practice leads, not to peace, but to clarity, fierceness, and gentleness.(These are not necessarily synonymous with ease. However, they are awesome.) PS I’m still not very good at it. Fortunately, being good at it is not the objective.
2. Funny Husky videos. This made me laugh, and miss my Obi, (our first dog, a Husky mix).
3. A Bank Wouldn’t Cash This Woman’s Paycheck Because They Didn’t Believe She Was An Architect. Seriously?! Blergh.
4. Elizabeth Plank on the latest from Donald Trump. “After more than a year of the Donald J. Trump campaign, should the recent audio leaks of Trump describing boorish behavior towards women really surprise anyone?” In related news, Women Across America Respond To Trump’s Groping Comments (TWEETS).
5. 7 Surprising Reasons Your Dog Should Sleep On Your Bed Every Night. As someone who has had a dog in her bed almost every night for the past 15 years, I am not surprised at all.
11. Renegade Healing with Dr. Vickie. “A modern day medicine woman for women who are in spiritual and health transitions.” A beautiful thing offered by a beautiful human.
12. Self-Doubt Is A Jerk, So You Should Stop Listening To It, wisdom from Chuck Wendig.
13. Don’t Fall For the New H&M Campaign. In what seems like related news to me, Looks Like “No Excuses” Mom, Maria Kang, Found Some Excuses.
14. The Birds of Fear from Jena Schwartz. There’s a particular magic to Jena’s writing — the detail, stuck to the present moment, tiny moments that call in the power of larger ones, reality that feels like the ordinary magic of a dream, the weaving together of multiple voices but so clearly her own.
15. Humans of New York and the Cavalier Consumption of Others. This makes me sad, because Humans of New York is one of my favorite things, and Stories is one of my “go to” gifts, a book I have given to so many people. I can’t figure out if this article means I’m stupid or confused, or if it’s just another perspective.
18. Why Black lives matter from Ben & Jerry.
20. How Libraries Save Lives. “One woman’s story of how a bookmobile transported her away from a deadly life and toward her human potential.”
21. Wisdom from Brave Girls Club,
You are a human being with a body and a mind and a soul…and all parts of us need rest just like we need food and water. It’s not a luxury…it’s not selfish. And it’s not something you can deprive yourself of day after day and week after week without becoming a tired and diluted version of yourself who has too much to do to ever do her best at ANYTHING. When you don’t stop to rest, to think, to recharge, to remember, to restore…you end up grouchy, tired, uncreative, angry, and numb to lots of life. And that’s not who you are, is it? Don’t lose yourself while you are trying to be everything to everyone. So STOP today and make a list, prioritize it, be realistic. Say no to at least three things today.
22. The Science of Meditation, another great (FREE!) offering from Shambhala Mountain Center. This is an amazing group of teachers, and the videos are available for 48 hours after their initial airing.
23. Our future doesn’t have to be dismal. “Scientists analyzed sustainability projects around the world and identified overarching trends that can potentially help create a more sustainable future.”