1. Why the Self-Help Industry isn’t Changing the World from Andrea Ranae. “To the coaches, healers, guides, mentors and overall do-gooders of the world who don’t want to bring ‘politics’ into your work, consider this: Your work could bring massive sustainable change to many lives, families, and communities, but it won’t if you don’t critically look at the social context that you’re working within.”
2. Because “love” is a verb on Rita’s Notebook. I didn’t write anything directly about what happened in Orlando because we were on the road heading to Oregon, so I’m glad Rita wrote something I could share. I’m also glad Aaryn wrote something, Numb, Cold & Stupefied. And I’m grateful that Jena wrote Dancing Boys + Red Poppies and We Were Strangers Once. In related news, The 49 Orlando Victims and Their Stories and The Unbearable Heartbreak of Club Music and Fuck Your Prayers for Orlando and Recipe For A Shooting and Sometimes It’s The Little Things and finally, thankfully, this: How To Help Orlando Shooting Victims And Their Families.
3. Life in a Magical Gypsy Vardo Style Caravan. The prettiest little tiny house.
5. CDC confirms lemon eucalyptus oil as effective as DEET. This post is five years old, but it’s the season so I wanted to make sure you hadn’t missed it. This is what we use, and bonus: it smells really good.
7. Rima Baransi dancing in Trieste, Italy. “This is Palestinian dancer Rima Baransi with her family in Trieste, Italy. Her father Assad Baransi recorded this video while encouraging her to dance to the music. They were visiting the town as tourists.”
8. EveryBODY Yoga. Jessamyn Stanley, a yoga instructor “striving to keep yoga inclusive for ALL body types.”
10. How Privileged Are You? a quiz from BuzzFeed. (I scored a 62).
11. What A Photo Of A Muslim-American Soldier’s Grave Can Tell Us. “How one photograph prompted a Republican statesman to back President Obama.”
14. 3rd Times A Charm on Allowing Myself. Fingers and toes are crossed over here too, Justine (paws too).
15. Listen to Maggie Rogers’ “Alaska,” the Song that Brought Pharrell to Tears. Added to my Soundcloud playlist.
17. The 4 Questions To Find Your Life’s Purpose from Kute Blackson.
18. What Productivity Systems Won’t Solve from ZenHabits. Even if you only read the first few paragraphs of this, it will be totally worth it, helped me see what’s truly stopping me in a different light.
19. Letting Go of What “They” Think from Rachel Cole. “Being able to live our lives and make basic choices like what to eat, when to eat, and how much to eat without factoring in what other people will think is essential if we are to feel free and unmasked—if we are to stay connected to the immense wisdom of our bodies.” Word. P.S. Rachel will be opening her next session of Feast for applications soon. It’s not an exaggeration at all to say that the program completely changed my life and I absolutely, wholeheartedly recommend it.
20. The Art of Trusting Yourself from Jena Schwartz.