1. The King Center, “Established in 1968 by Mrs. Coretta Scott King, The Martin Luther King, Jr. Center for Nonviolent Social Change (‘The King Center’) has been a global destination, resource center and community institution for over a quarter century.” Their website has an amazing archive of materials worth checking out.
2. Good stuff from Terrible Minds: Self-Care For Writers: Some Tips and Your 2016 Authorial Mandate Is Here: Be The Writer That You Are, Not The Writer Other People Want You To Be and Death Becomes Us.
3. To Be Happier, Start Thinking More About Your Death, an Op-Ed on The New York Times by Arthur C. Brooks about an important and challenging shift in perspective.
4. Watch Every #SmartGirlsAsk Answer From the 2016 Golden Globes. These are so much more interesting than “who are you wearing?”
5. A New Year. A Fresh Start. #3bravethings I love Diana’s alternative to making New Year’s Resolutions. What would your three brave things be?
6. It’s Nice to See You, another great response to Oprah’s Weight Watcher’s deal.
7. That time David Bowie almost became a Buddhist monk — and what he said (and sang) about that time on Lion’s Roar. I hadn’t heard this before. So fascinating. I love the idea that we all have a particular way that we can be of most benefit.
8. Alessia Cara covered “Hotline Bling” and “Magnets” and now we know heaven. I love Alessia Cara, had no idea she was so young but her voice has that magic timeless quality all the best artists do.
9. How to Stop the Doubting Yourself / Quitting/ Looking for a Magic Solution Cycle – Today. Jennifer Louden is one of those teachers, women, beings that is able to tell the truth, the whole truth even the brutal parts, but always in the end offer some relief. It’s a particular kind of magic.
10. The (Not So) Tell-Tale (Fat) Heart from Dances With Fat, which makes a very important point about the “facts” we’ve been fed.
11. Dreamy Animated Light Paintings by Lucea Spinelli. These are amazing, but they also make me a bit dizzy if I look at them for too long.
12. Weight-Bias Within The Eating Disorder Recovery Movement. “How you can combat fat-phobia in the eating disorder recovery community.”
13. Every Meeting You’ve Ever Been To (In Two Minutes). Hilarious!
14. I can’t from The Bloggess — on sadness and regret, and the importance of telling people they matter while you still can.
15. 50 Motivating Quotes for Your Career, inspiration from Laura Simms, “50 of my favorite quotations, organized by theme: Purpose, Action, Courage, Creativity, and Leadership. Find a favorite for today, and Pin this post so you can come back when you need something different.”
16. Storyteller Captures ‘Humans Of The Colorado Trail.’ David Fanning (of Fort Collins, where I live) “collected about 100 stories like this on his blog, and is now working on a book.” (Inspired by Humans of New York, one of my favorite things e v e r). Such a cool project.
17. Oregon to Patagonia, “Jedidiah Jenkins’ parents once walked across America, ending their journey in Oregon. Now, Jedidiah is on an extraordinary journey himself, picking up where his parents left off and traveling south to Patagonia, Chile — by bicycle.” His pictures are amazing.
18. A great post from Austin Kleon about the book Wabi-Sabi for Artists, Designers, Poets & Philosophers.
19. These genius “Seabins” vacuum garbage and pollution right out of the ocean. A really great idea. More of this, please.
20. 19 Lasagnas for Veggie Lovers, a great set of recipes from The New York Times. One disclaimer: I don’t agree with how they’ve marked some of these as “healthy,” thus categorizing them into “good” and “bad” food.
21. The Spaces Between the Consonants by Jena Schwartz, a great piece on On Being.
22. This Selfie Taking Cat Takes Better Selfies Than You. Oh how I love this dude.
23. Truthbomb #975 from Danielle LaPorte, “Choose kind over cool.”
24. Why I love the cards (and a giveaway!) from Susannah Conway.
25. Meditation for Beginners: 20 Practical Tips for Understanding the Mind, great set of tips from Zen Habits.
26. Why Owning 24 Items of Clothing Is Good For My Creativity, (thanks for the link, Tammy).
27. Adele Carpool Karaoke. Love it!
28. Recipe: Lemon & Thyme Syrup Cake from decor8. Yum.
29. It’s all a mistake, wisdom from Seth Godin.