2. Giving Credit Poster. “In 2011, a few of us design-centric bloggers got together via email to discuss the importance of giving credit online – inspired by our discussions I designed this poster with their support and advice, and now I’m happy to offer it as a PDF to download so that you can use it digitally as well as print it at your local print shop, whichever size you like, to use as a teaching tool.”
4. Today is “No Diet Day.” In related news, Dismantling Diet Culture and Pursuing Weight Loss Is Not a Way to “Take Care of Yourself” and No Diet Day Round-up.
6. The New Tent from Susannah Conway. “In April 2019 I sent out a Love Letter describing my experience of the early days of perimenopause. I received so many replies to that letter I wanted to gather them together so we can all benefit from the stories that were shared. We’re not alone! I will add to this page as more stories come in and more resources are found.”
7. Fun things from Chookooloonks’ “this was a good week” list: In New Jersey, an 1890s-Era Home Honoring Black Heritage, and Photographer Captures Magical Beauty of Looking Up in the Middle of a Forest, and This Graphic Shows the Best Air-Cleaning Plants, According to NASA, and this cool Instagram account.
9. Restored by the Fords: Exclusive. “leanne and her brother steve ford beautifully restore the rineman house — a newly purchased, 1930s farmhouse in the country. leanne highlights the home’s existing beauty while bringing out more of its character with modern-bohemian touches including whitewashed beamed ceilings (i want these in my kitchen!), natural hardwood floors and a white-on-white color scheme that really opens up the space.” There’s almost no color in this space, but it’s dreamy and so cozy.
11. Wisdom from Andréa Ranae, “Stop trying to save the world. You, alone, do not have that power. Demanding such an impossible task of yourself (and then judging and punishing yourself for not living up to it) is abusive.”
12. Wisdom from Cheryl Strayed, “Writing has always felt that way to me—two seemingly opposite things. Agony and joy, every damn day. Like flowers and snow. Like May Day and mayday. Like the ship is going down and yet still we bloom.”
13. Say Yes to an Open Heart. “Diana Winston reflects on the intertwining of mindfulness and compassion, as practiced with an open heart.”
17. Calling it quits: When leaving your job is the right thing to do. Pretty surface level article that doesn’t come clean about quitting being a luxury and privilege that many people just don’t have, but also felt timely for me.
18. This 7/11 owner saw a teenager stealing junk food from his store. (video) “When he asked the teen why he was doing it, the owner responded by giving him free food.”
21. North Carolina Lawyer Who Works Pro-Bono To Aid The Incarcerated Snags Miss USA 2019 Title. In related news, For the First Time in History, Miss USA, Miss Teen USA and Miss America are All Back Women.
22. Three ideas. Three contradictions. Or not. “Hannah Gadsby’s groundbreaking special “Nanette” broke comedy. In a talk about truth and purpose, she shares three ideas and three contradictions. Or not.”
23. Someone burned beehives in Texas and killed more than half a million bees. There are certain events for which the “why” absolutely escapes me. WHY would you do this?!
27. Why This Highly Sensitive Person Has No Desire to ‘Toughen Up.’ It’s very interesting to me that if someone has autism, no one would ever expect them to “just change,” but when you are HSP it’s assumed that you can just snap out of it, as if it’s a choice or optional, or even a weakness that you can strengthen your way out of.
29. How to Hide: Instructions from a Daughter of Survivors. “A daughter of Holocaust survivors gives us chilling instructions. Responding: Nechama Liss-Levinson, a writer and psychoanalyst.”
34. GAY MAG. “Creating an online space where writers are afforded the time to produce their best work.”
35. Avengers: Endgame was brilliant – but the fat shaming broke my heart. In related news, On Fat Hate & The Avengers.
37. “You Don’t Have to Have Cerebral Palsy to Relate to My Story”, “Ryan O’Connell’s show about gay, disabled life is Netflix’s first 15-minute sitcom.”
41. What Do People Get Wrong About Being Deaf? (video)