1. Judy Clement Wall: Artist, illustrator, author, love warrior. J posted the above picture this weekend on Instagram and Facebook, and you know I LOVE IT. I’ve been following J’s journey ever since she started sharing her “doodles” and to see her become so fully embodied as an artist gives me all the joy I can stand, and reminds me that I have to trust myself and keep trying.
2. Wisdom from Kelly Diels, “Sometimes you don’t even realize the burden you’ve been carrying until you put it down.”
4. 10 ways to keep doing the work when you’re in it for the long haul from Jena Schwartz. Thank you so much for this, Jena, and for sticking with it, doing this work with me, helping me to keep from giving up. Also from Jena, Five Deep Breaths.
5. Harold Ramis didn’t intend “Groundhog Day” to be Buddhist, but it’s a dharma classic. This is the first movie Eric and I went out to see together, at a $2 theater here in Fort Collins which is now a sticky floored music venue. We rewatch it at least once a year, and I think about the metaphors of the movie, the message a lot. In related news, from Austin Kleon, Want to be an artist? Watch Groundhog Day.
6. Good stuff from Everyday Feminism: When You ‘Don’t See Color,’ You’re Contributing to the Everyday Racism Around You, and 5 Things Your Activist Friend Wants You to Stop Doing (Because You’re Wearing Us Out), and I Had Cancer – And Medical Fat-Shaming Could Have Killed Me.
9. Primer: When You Have Too Much to Do from Zen Habits.
10. Onym, a naming site with a ton of free resources. I’m trying to come up with a better name for my business (I’m just not feeling Life Wholehearted anymore, with the events of the past couple of years I feel like I need something with teeth), so I’m hoping this site can help.
11. attention is the beginning of devotion from Karen Walrond on Chookooloonks.
13. #MeToo, Now What? from PBS. Executive editor and host Zainab Salbi goes beyond the headlines about sexual harassment to ask how we got here and how we move forward.
14. New Mexico’s Teacher Of The Year Might Be Deported. (video) “This woman was Teacher of the Year in her state — but until there’s a clean DREAM Act, her future is in jeopardy.”
15. A Man Who Could Finally Afford To See A Doctor After Winning The Lottery Died Three Weeks Later. “Donald Savastano was excited to finally see a doctor after winning $1 million. Then he found out he had stage 4 cancer.” Tell me again how we are “making America great again.” I dare you.
16. Baby dances to dad’s beatboxing. (video)
17. The Term ‘Marijuana’ Is Rooted In Racism. (video)
18. Reminder: Black labor built this country for free. (video)
19. Recipe I want to try: Potato Chip Cookies. Sweet and salty, chewy with some crunch is my jam.
20. Someone edited Ram’s Martin Luther King commercial with what King actually said about car ads. In related news, Yes, the MLK Estate Did Approve That Trash Dodge Super Bowl Ad, and America Will Not Stop Until Martin Luther King Jr. Is Completely Rebranded as a Slice of Avocado Toast, and White Supremacy Murdered Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King & Now Uses Him as a Capitalist Prop, and Dodge’s Super Bowl ad used a Martin Luther King Jr. speech … to sell pickup trucks, (video).
23. 3D collages in layers of glass: By Dustin Yellin. (video)
26. Jessica Williams and Phoebe Robinson Save It for the Stage from The New York Times.
28. The Women Behind White Power from The New York Times.