1. Botanical light-filled loft from SF Girl by Bay. I want to spend the next week on that smushy green couch.
2. Sun salutations, sizeism, sexism and scumbaggery. “By the end of this horrible, un-yogic apology you will be lying in savasana on your floor.”
3. Let’s stop telling the lie that weight loss is our life’s work, wisdom from Melissa Toler. Because this,
My exploration into the ways that diet culture disregards our humanity has forced me to see things very differently. I have awakened to the fact that diet culture demands perfection, ignores body diversity, overrides our bodies’ natural wisdom, and as a result, undermines our autonomy. The more I explore the layers of diet culture, the more I see how we’re socialized to accept that our bodies are not our own and are intended for the consumption of others. At times it feels like simply existing is an invitation for unsolicited commentary and unwanted touch. The message that comes across to me is loud and clear: Other people’s experience of my body is more important than my own.
4. The Secret to Interpersonal Happiness from Zen Habits.
5. Think Again: ‘There is no obesity crisis’, explained by Professor Traci Mann. (video)
6. The August Break, 2017 hosted by Susannah Conway. Take one picture a day using Susannah’s prompts. A fun way to wrap up the season.
7. Why It’s No Coincidence That So Many INFJs and INFPs Are Writers.
8. Please Help Us Save Diesel!
9. Ear Hustle, the first podcast produced in prison. (video)
10. Why Mainstream Yoga is a Part of Diet Culture with Dianne Bondy. (podcast)
11. Philly’s Real-Life Superhero. Ariell Johnson is one of the first black women in the country to own a comic book shop and she’s just getting started. (video)
12. Recipes I want to try: Southwestern Sweet Potato Noodle Salad, and Avocado Desserts 4 Ways (I’d like to try these, but I’m not sure how I feel about them), and Crispy Honey-Glazed Fried Chicken (this seems like it would work really well with tofu instead of chicken), and Chocolate Crazy Cake: No Eggs, Milk or Butter.
13. I Don’t Get Weighed at the Doctor’s Office—and You Don’t Have to, Either.
14. When Ellie told her mom and dad she was a girl, they responded with nothing but love and support. (video)
15. To the cis person angrily sharing news of the Trump transgender military ban.
16. This Photographer Shoots Pet Brothers From Other Mothers And It’s Too Adorable.
17. Libraries Are the Real Punk Rock.
18. I Don’t Want to Watch Slavery Fan Fiction by Roxane Gay on The New York Times.
19. The Radical Importance Of Issa Rae’s ‘Insecure.’
20. Summer Interns: Democrat & Republican, a powerful set of contrasting images.
21. Did Rupi Kaur plagiarize parts of ‘Milk & Honey’ from this Tumblr poet?
22. A Little of Everything (When Everything Is Everything) from Jena Schwartz.
23. Women are flocking to wellness because modern medicine still doesn’t take them seriously. In related news, Mother died after paramedics accused her of faking symptoms ‘for attention.’
24. Broken Heart or Just Monday?, another sweet cartoon from Connie Sun.
25. Charismatic guru Michael Stone popularized ancient ideas, an obituary.
26. This floating farm is helping feed New York City’s poor. (video)
27. At This Point, I Don’t Care Why You Still Support This President, wisdom from John Pavlovitz.
28. This 13-year-old boy and 78-year-old man are openly gay, but their coming out stories are worlds apart. (video) “Neighbors in the world.”
29. Bangladesh’s Biggest Brothel. (video) “We go inside Bangladesh’s biggest brothel, a town where 1,500 women work as prostitutes, some as young as 10 years old.”