1. Morning walks. Ringo is doing so much better, back to 2.5-3.5 miles in the morning with another shorter walk in the afternoon, no limp, (of course that meant I had to take him to the vet this week to stave off a full blown ear infection, because it’s always something…). We walked around the gravel pit ponds a few times this past week. We can walk from our house directly and because technically it’s private property, there aren’t as many people. We did get to meet some great dogs — one older boxer mix carrying a BIG stick, and two puppies with big feet who were so soft, so sweet, so goofy — and Ringo was good with all of them. We also saw lots of seagulls, ducks, and a heron.
2. Practice. Writing, meditation, and even some yoga — I haven’t practiced asana that much since I stopped teaching, a mix of losing my reason to practice (if I wasn’t teaching) and grief (not teaching because of COVID, not practicing with other people). I’d like to practice more, long for it, know how good it feels, but starting (or restarting in this case) a habit takes time, and I’m already working on so much shifting and staying. So I guess my current yoga practice is to “give myself a break.”
3. Making art, in particular with Calyx and Janice. Making art for me isn’t about the product or the outcome but rather the process, a combination of practice and play.
4. Support. The first part of last week was rough. I was busy and worried, anxious, but I also had so much help! Eric, Ringo, good friends, my masseuse, my therapist, books, podcasts, TV, practice, the hydromassage chair, the pool, the sauna, good food.
5. My tiny family, my tiny house, my tiny life. I wouldn’t want it any other way.
Bonus joy: dinner with Jon & Chelsey, a sunny weekend, clean laundry, other people’s babies and dogs, texting with my mom and brother, fresh clean air, napping, that corner of the couch, strawberries, raspberries, tacos, comfortable shoes, down and wool, getting refunds for both our state and federal taxes, gummy supplements, smoothies, being able to hug my friends, clean water, leftovers, pajamas, reading in bed while Eric and Ringo sleep.