1. Merry everything and happy always! Yesterday we put on Christmas music and I wrapped the last of Eric’s presents and watched a few Christmas movies (rewatched Single All The Way and then Love Hard, both really good) and then we went to lunch at our favorite Chinese restaurant. When we came home, I took a nap while Eric made an apple pie and walked Ringo, and after dinner we watched The Great British Baking Show holiday special. Today it was early morning presents, texts with people I love, talking to my mom on the phone, and not doing much of anything else. I hope that you too, kind and gentle reader, are making space for rest and ease, and that joy and love are finding their way to you.
2. Sunrise. This time of year, it’s extra.
3. Puppies and babies. Two of my favorite things.
4. Ringo Blue, all his quirks. I’ve mentioned before that Ringo loves to find things on his walks, pick them up, and carry them — sometimes all the way home. This week he’s found two single gloves and one pair of black knit gloves that he’s absolutely in love with. In fact, I spent a whole day washing and mending his toys, and when they were ready to come out of the dryer, he was clearly asking to play, brought me his beloved gloves. I took him to the dryer, opened it, and told him to “get a toy.” He set down his gloves and stuck his head in the dryer, had a look around, and picked the gloves back up! That was his choice. It’s like a kid who spends more time playing with the box a new toy comes in than the toy.
5. My tiny family, my tiny home, my tiny life. It doesn’t seem possible that it is already Christmas, it seemed to come so fast this year, feels like Thanksgiving was only two weeks ago, especially when today was 50 and sunny. There’s no one I’d rather spend the holidays with, or any of the regular days, even the awful ones — home is where they are.
Bonus joy: Eric being on a three week break, all the candy he made, new books and empty journals, a warm shower, clean laundry, clean sheets, down blankets and pillows, raspberries, apple pie oatmeal, naps, nuts and seeds, Eric and Ringo napping together on the couch, slowing down, knowing that slowing down is a necessary part of the process, getting in the pool, sitting in the sauna, the hydromassage chair, Christmas music, Christmas movies, all the lights, vaccines, listening to podcasts, reading in bed at night while Eric and Ringo sleep.