1. Creatures Fly and Swim through Lush Ecosystems in Kinetic Miniatures by Penny Thomson. The seal is amazing.
2. Octavia Butler: Visionary Fiction (2021). (podcast) “Octavia Butler’s alternate realities and ‘speculative fiction’ reveal striking, and often devastating parallels to the world we live in today. She was a deep observer of the human condition, perplexed and inspired by our propensity towards self-destruction. Butler was also fascinated by the cyclical nature of history, and often looked to the past when writing about the future. Along with her warning is her message of hope – a hope conjured by centuries of survival and persistence. For every society that perishes in her books comes a story of rebuilding, of repair.”
3. Finding enlightenment through sitting with discomfort. “Lama Rod Owens [one of my favorite teachers] teaches others the importance of mindfulness and focusing on all of their emotions.”
4. Cutest Koala Compilation of all time. (video) The cutest!
6. Raspberry Crumble Tart Bars, recipe from Smitten Kitchen.
7. The ‘Hedonistic Altruism’ of Plant-Based Meat on The New York Times. “Ethan Brown, the founder and C.E.O. of Beyond Meat, on his moral and environmental priorities.”
9. Wisdom from Rob Hopkins, “If we wait for governments, it will be too late. If we act as individuals it will be too little. But if we act as communities, it might be enough and it might be just in time.”
10. Peace from Anxiety: Hala Khouri, CTZN Podcast. “Hala Khouri, a brilliant yoga teacher and somatic counselor specializing in trauma joins us this week on CTZN podcast. She just wrote a book called Peace from Anxiety: Get Grounded, Build Resilient, Stay Connected Amidst the Chaos [I just ordered my copy] — which I would imagine is most people’s desire these days. This podcast about trauma and anxiety, but it is also about how we take care of ourselves and one another, how we navigate the chaos of this moment with creativity, and how we practice change in small and big ways.”
11. Solving for stress from Seth Godin. “Along the way, it seems as though we got confused about the best way to deal with the stress that comes from work and from the projects we work on.”
15. Pandemic Prayers from Austin Kleon.
17. Wisdom from Robin Wall Kimmerer, “Even a wounded world is feeding us. Even a wounded world holds us, giving us moments of wonder and joy. I choose joy over despair. Not because I have my head in the sand, but because joy is what the Earth gives me daily and I must return the gift.”