1. The Five Great Fears on Lion’s Roar. “There’s no avoiding it: 2020 has been a year of fear. The threat of illness and death has been omni-present. Many folks have either lost their jobs or fear losing them at any moment. But what is fear? What are we so afraid of? Looking at the ‘Five Great Fears,’ Zen teacher Lewis Richmond asks us to consider fear itself.”
3. Your ‘Surge Capacity’ Is Depleted — It’s Why You Feel Awful. “Here’s how to pull yourself out of despair and live your life.”
5. RIP: Remembering Chadwick Boseman, and Randall Kenan’s “God’s Gonna Trouble the Water” Is About a Disaster That’s All Too Imaginable (the author recently passed, and this is one of the last stories he published), and Breonna Taylor’s Life Was Changing. Then the Police Came to Her Door on The New York Times.
6. Systemic problems from Seth Godin. “When we think about the problems we’ve solved as a community, this is the way it always happens. Making things better, over time, with focus. Persistent commitment doesn’t lower the urgency of the moment, it acknowledges it.”
9. Leaving Facebook? Here’s the best way to take your photos with you. “You may not want all your old posts, but you should grab your photos and videos. Fortunately, they can be shuttled over to Google Photos in a few clicks.”
10. The Consequences of Your Actions. “You can’t support Trump and also be a decent human being.”
16. RNC Gave Prime Time to Vigilantes. The Next Day a Gunman Shot BLM Protesters. In related news, How to demand justice for Jacob Blake and support Kenosha protesters, and We need a plan to prevent a Trump takeover — and this anti-coup research shows the way, and How ‘good White people’ derail racial progress, and Trump Threatens Intervention After Portland Violence, and Kenosha Mayor Does Not Want President Trump To Visit ‘At This Point In Time’, and Rabbi who works next door to couple who pointed guns at protestors says they’ve been notorious ‘bullies’ for years, and N.Y.C. Tenants Say They Were Tricked Into Appearing in R.N.C. Video on The New York Times, and If You Only Read One Convention Recap, Make It This One, and Media and Law Enforcement Response to White Vigilante Shooter Proves There Are Two Americas.
17. America’s Nice Guy Finally Says ‘Fuck You’ to Trump Supporters on Twitter. In related news, ‘What I’ve learned since I lost my mind’: Jim Gaffigan explains his Trump rant. “So if I believe I won’t sway any voters, why speak out like I did? Honestly, I feel I had no choice at this point. I think Trump is ruining and possibly has already ruined my country.”
18. Guy Catches Neighbor Kid Repeatedly Playing In His Driveway. “What he does next is pretty epic.”