1. Reasons to be Cheerful. “Reasons to be Cheerful is a non-profit editorial project that is tonic for tumultuous times. We tell stories that reveal that there are, in fact, a surprising number of reasons to feel cheerful. Many of these reasons come in the form of smart, proven, replicable solutions to the world’s most pressing problems. We’re here to tell you about some of them. Through sharp reporting, our stories balance a sense of healthy optimism with journalistic rigor, and find cause for hope. We are part magazine, part therapy session, part blueprint for a better world. Reasons to be Cheerful was founded by artist and musician David Byrne, who believes in the power of approaching the world with curiosity—in art, in music, in collaboration and in life. Under the banner of Byrne’s Arbutus Foundation, Reasons to be Cheerful embodies this sensibility, applying it now to the future of our world. Through stories of hope, rooted in evidence, Reasons to be Cheerful aims to inspire us all to be curious about how the world can be better, and to ask ourselves how we can be part of that change.”
2. On Wellness, Nike, and Fat Mannequins.
3. Move For The Joy Of It: Workouts That Don’t Feel Like Work. In related news, headspace, not bodyspace from Karen Walrond.
4. Wabi-Sabi For Artists, Designers, Poets & Philosophers. “Lion’s Roar presents an excerpt from Leonard Koren’s gem, Wabi-Sabi for Artists, Designers, Poets and Philosophers, considered a class statement on this Japanese aesthetic.”
5. Trump Shares Campaign Video With Image Used by White Supremacist Group.
6. Questions About Marianne Williamson’s Weight Loss Advice. “I read ‘A Course for Weight Loss.’ I’m fat. And I have questions for the presidential candidate.”
7. Op-Art: The Shame of Crowdfunding Health Care on The New York Times. “I fell off a bike into an outpouring of charity. But Americans shouldn’t have to seek out strangers to pay health bills.”
8. How to Draw Yourself Out of a Creative Funk on The New York Times. “Malaka Gharib, the author of the coming-of-age graphic memoir I Was Their American Dream, shares her tips.”
9. A female inmate was forced to give birth alone on a bench in her cell at Denver County Jail without any medical treatment. In related news, A woman says her cries for help were ignored as she gave birth in jail. Her story is one of many.
10. How Shift Happens in Our Lives on Zen Habits.
11. 14 Contradictions That INFJs Experience Every Day.
12. What Color Is Your Hamster Wheel? from Laura Simms.
13. Naomi and Coco Gave Us The Best Sports and Black Girl Magic Moment of the Year.
14. White Tears Attempt to Drown Out the True History of Louisiana Plantation: ‘Very Racist. If You’re White, Don’t Go.’
15. “It’s pretty amazing that a four-year-old has a best friend who’s 95 years old.” (video)
15. Valerie Harper, Who Played Beloved TV Sidekick Rhoda, Dies At 80.
16. Trouble in paradise: Trump attacks Fox News – and Fox News hits back.
17. ‘Where I’m From’: A Crowdsourced Poem That Collects Your Memories Of Home.
18. Stop what you’re doing and just watch this. (video)
19. The Great British Baking Show returns to Netflix this weekend. Woo-Hoo!
20. Jessi Combs, TV Host and Racecar Driver, Dies in Attempt at Land Speed Record on The New York Times.
21. NORPAC files Chapter 11 bankruptcy, reaches deal to sell itself to Oregon Potato Company. This was my first real job at 15. I worked the graveyard shift three summers in a row. It was some of the only work available. “NORPAC was established as a co-op then known as Stayton Canning Company in 1924 in Stayton by a group of Oregon farmers and grew to include 240 farms from Portland to Eugene.” They’ll be closing the Stayton plant in October. I feel weirdly sad about it.
22. Brazil Rejects G-7’s Offer Of $22 Million To Fight Amazon Fires.
23. Help our family avoid homelessness. If you have something to give, this is a good start.
24. Meet The Teen Who Registered People To Vote While They Waited In Line At Popeyes.
25. Why Are Writers Particularly Drawn to Tarot?
26. The Thing About Safety. Author Ijeoma Oluo’s son was endangered when someone called police, pretending to be him, and said he murdered two people – and the harassment didn’t stop there.
27. Deadly Dieting Tools: Who Loses When Weight Watchers Sets Its Eyes on Children?
28. ‘Let’s do it now’: Greta Thunberg crosses Atlantic and calls for urgent climate action.
29. Fighting Burnout, Rest Debt, and Work as a False Path to Self-Worth.