1. Savor is coming! Daily Practices for a more nourishing holiday from Rachel Cole, one of my favorite traditions. I shared this last week too. It starts November 20th, so there’s still time to sign up.
2. 7 Questions to Ask When You’re Feeling Stuck. “When you feel stuck, asking why is often helpful. But just asking ‘Why am I stuck?’ doesn’t always work, because feeling stuck can be more of a general sensation than a specific ailment. So here are a few other questions that might help you figure things out.”
3. Roxane Gay, Feminism and Difficult Women, an interview with one of my favorite authors.
4. It’s very clearly okay to be white. “This incident is part of a larger effort from white supremacists and white-nationalists to center their own insecurities in conversations about racial inequity and convert those who wouldn’t normally take a stance to their side of what they think is an anti-white culture war.” This happened on MY campus this week, and it’s not okay.
5. An Open Letter to Brené Brown. “This world has a whole lot of amazing changemakers who happen to be fat. I think it’s time we invite sizeism into the diversity conversation to make space for healing.”
6. It’s The Underpants Rule! from Dances with Fat. Also, Giles Coren: Garbage Human, Fatphobe and, Horrifyingly, Father.
8. Calorie counts on menus are going to be mandatory in 2018. This is why we can’t have nice things…
9. The “New” Black Friday. “Black Friday is, for many Americans, a day of stress and debt.
What if we chose to give it a better meaning?…This Black Friday, go with the new black: Spend at least part of the day making a Love List as a holiday gift for someone you love.”
10. Colin Kaepernick Is GQ’s 2017 Citizen of the Year. “He’s been vilified by millions and locked out of the NFL—all because he took a knee to protest police brutality. But Colin Kaepernick’s determined stand puts him in rare company in sports history: Muhammad Ali, Jackie Robinson—athletes who risked everything to make a difference.”
11. I am tired of being invisible to you all from Winona LaDuke.
12. Who Will Mourn Teen Vogue? on The New York Times.
13. A Black Queer Man’s Syllabus to Whiteness, a great reading list.
16. Recipes I’d like to try: 8 Homemade Veggie Chips & Dips, and Vegan Pulled Pork Sandwiches, (a local restaurant makes these, and you seriously cannot tell the difference), and Crock Pot Teriyaki Chicken, and Meatless Tacos 5 Ways.
18. Roy Moore’s Former Deputy District Attorney Just Made His Sex Scandal Infinitely Worse. In related news, Fake news troll Jack Posobiec doxxes woman who accused Republican Roy Moore of child abuse.
19. Otters wag their tails like dogs when they’re happy. (video) So cute.
20. Little Boy And His Mom Are Saving Hundreds Of Shelter Dogs. (video) When he chokes up at the end talking about Sully, I lost it. Here’s another video about him and the project he and his mom work on, Project Freedom Ride.
22. Phone-Sized Camera Has 16 Built-In Lenses. (video)
24. Stop walking your dog. Not gonna stop walking my dogs, but there are some good reminders here.
25. Meet 82-year-old Sumiko: a Japanese dumpling maker by day… and professional DJ at night. (video) It’s never too late to start.
26. Luther Vandross’s first TV appearance…on Sesame Street. (video) Warning: this tune is hella catchy.
30. Fighting Hunger Under Trump’s Budget. (video) “‘It’s very difficult for children to concentrate on their education if they have not been properly fed.’ Trump’s budget cuts could spell disaster for places like Mississippi, which faces the worst hunger rate in the nation.” There are some who’d watch this and still feel like it’s not their responsibility to help, that hungry people have somehow made a choice and “it’s not my problem.” I watch this and think we should be embarrassed that there are so many hungry people in a culture where so many have so much more than they need.
34. Amazing Hoop Dance performance by Nakotah LaRance at the Swaia Fashion Show. Note to self: If this guy challenges you to a dance off, forfeit.
35. Holy Thank You For Not by Megan Falley. (video) A beautiful poem. Another beautiful poem? Watch Andrea Gibson Perform ‘Your Life’ in The Dreamhouse.
36. Her family hired me as a maid for 12 years but then she stole my life and made it a Disney movie. Someone on a thread about this suggested (after we heard the court case didn’t work out and Abilene Cooper hasn’t received any sort of justice), that she needs to make her own movie about what happened to her, including how Becky stole her story and made a bunch of money and fame for herself.
37. People With Golden Hearts Share Their Most Wholesome Secret. Happy World Kindness Day!