2. The Question of Cultural Appropriation. “It’s more helpful to think about exploitation and disrespect than to define cultural ‘ownership.'”
3. To Mayim Bialik: The “Luxury” Of Not Being A “Perfect 10” Did Not Prevent My Rape. I’d take this “I can only hope that the culture you wish to change begins with showing our children that a man or woman only has to say NO once” one step further and add that a human needs to have also said “yes.”
5. The Art of Activism: Hard Conversations Book Club “reads a book each month that will illuminate a path for accessing, reclaiming, and deepening our shared humanity. We will spend this year learning things we have not known, so we can respond to other human beings from a place of knowing, and not from a place of fear.”
6. Processing negative reviews from Seth Godin.
7. Relative from A Design So Vast. “I’ve always hungered to understand how the absolutely singular experience I’m having on this planet relates to the universal. I think we all do.”
8. Technology, peace, and sanity from Alexandra Franzen. “Deep down, though, we all crave meaningful human connections. We all crave serenity, peace, and space to breathe and think. We all crave less clutter, less noise, and more beauty. Technology can help to deliver these things. Or technology can hinder these things. It just depends on how we choose to use it.”
9. Weight Bias is Not In Your Head…and that’s probably not a reason to diet from Isabel Foxen Duke.
10. It’s Okay To Disconnect From Toxic People To Protect Yourself. This is a good article about what it’s about, but it also gave such a clear description of who I am… *sigh*
I’m a highly sensitive INFJ personality type. I need to feel emotionally safe and supported before I can express my true thoughts to anyone, and I also need more time than most to speak in front of a group (even if it’s only three people). I’m also an empath. So, when people around me go from zero to 10 on the anger scale, I pretty much immediately get gut-punched by all the negative energy. And because I’m an intuitive introvert, I see almost every different side to any issue. Black and white doesn’t exist for me. I live in the gray area.
13. Wedding Thoughts: All I Know About Love a poem from Neil Gaiman.
14. People think it was just Nazi Germany that operated concentration camps. “Britain used them in South Africa, Russia, Ireland, Palestine, Malaya and Kenya.” (video)
18. Weinstein Isn’t The Only One: Screen Celebs Who Abuse Women or Children. In related news, President Donald Trump has been accused of inappropriate conduct and sexual assault by these women. (video)
19. “The Florida Project” Is A Heartbreaking Movie About Living In The Shadow Of Disney. This looks so good, in that way a movie about bad things can be good.
23. I need to talk to spiritual white women about white supremacy (Part Two) from Layla Saad.