1. “At The Gamesman barbershop in Brooklyn, Dez Marshall is serving up some of the best cuts in the borough. Even better? She provides a safe space for the LGBTQ community to get fresh without judgment.”
3. Thousands of Native Americans take their opposition to the Dakota Access Pipeline to the White House. In related news, Native Nations Rise. Also, The Women of Standing Rock. Also, Viceland: Rise, “We travel to Indigenous communities across the Americas to meet people protecting their homelands and rising up against colonization.”
5. Tracey Ullman – Mugged. “Guys, is dressing provocatively in expensive suits whilst having too much much to drink causing you to get mugged?”
The medical profession needs to step up. It needs to accept that diets aren’t the universal treatment option for fat people. It needs to accept that fatness isn’t the universal cause of ill health in fat people. It needs to engage with the very real damage caused by its attitudes toward fat people, and with the sub-standard care delivered to many people as a result of their size.
7. Overtaken By Events: Kids Burst Onto Scene Of Live BBC TV Interview. In related news, That Asian mom is not the nanny. Why do so many people assume she is? and BBC interview hijacked by children prompts social media debate.
9. The Cost of Balancing Academia and Racism. “Researchers say that discrimination at colleges and universities may have negative impacts on black students’ mental health.”
10. How the AMERICAN WOMAN Project Aims to Make Black Women the Face of America. I am a Patron of this project, because it is so amazing and important and inspiring.
11. Recipe I want to try: Spinach Pesto Pasta (seems like this would be yummy with salmon too).
15. The Funniest Tweets From Parents This Week. Kids aren’t required in order to giggle at these.
19. The Real Reason Republicans Want To Pull The Plug On Obamacare. What’s so upsetting to me about this whole debate (other than all the people who will probably end up losing their health insurance, all the suffering that will be caused) is the assumption by many in our culture that healthcare, health insurance, is a luxury, when it should be a basic fundamental human right. In related news, Laziness isn’t why people are poor. And iPhones aren’t why they lack health care.
21. Learning to swim in Zanzibar. “Even though it is an island, many in Zanzibar cannot swim. A charity is helping children learn.”
24. Love Letters for My Children – The Maggie Doyne Documentary, a Kickstarter Project.
25. Diverse Stock Photos. “The world’s first inclusive, body positive and weight neutral commercial-use stock photo site.”
26. Official Girls Just Want to Have Fundamental Rights Shirt. Every shirt sold benefits Planned Parenthood & True Colors Fund.
27. Reading lists: 5 New Books That Will Make You a Better Feminist, and Your International Women’s Day Reading List, (“Nine female nature writers who will inspire you to explore, enjoy, and protect the planet”), and 24 Empowering Books Every Feminist Needs to Read.
28. New (to me) music: Andra Day. She reminds me of Amy Winehouse.
29. List: Woman Facts from McSweeney’s.
30. YouTube sensation Shane Koyczan transmits hard-to-hear messages by my friend, the amazing writer, blogger, yoga teacher Kirsten Akens.
31. Amy Krouse Rosenthal on The Interview Show with Mark Bazer, possibly one of her last public interviews. In related news, Creative Superhero Podcast #6: A tribute to Amy Krouse Rosenthal: Make the most of your time here. Also, Amy Krouse Rosenthal – TEDxSMU 2012 and her short film The Beckoning of Lovely.
34. Wisdom from Pema Chödrön, “When we practice generating compassion, we can expect to experience our fear of pain. Compassion practice is daring. It involves learning to relax and allow ourselves to move gently toward what scares us. The trick to doing this is to stay with emotional distress without tightening into aversion, to let fear soften us rather than harden into resistance.”
35. A Reddit AMA with Margaret Atwood, “author of The Handmaid’s Tale, and executive producer of the Hulu original series based on the novel premiering April 26.”
38. Should A Writer Get An English Degree, Yes Or No? from Chuck Wendig.