1. Morning walks with the dogs. We’ve been stopping at the Little Dog Park and there’s still a bit more light than before, especially with the super moon this week.
2. Hiking with my boys. The last one was a hard hike, but I’m still grateful for it. It seemed so innocent, a hike on a “nature” trail next to a camping ground closed for the season. But the first half, the first full hour, was straight up, all the way to 7200 feet. And the way down there was one part where the trail was right on the edge of a sheer, steep drop, and that plus the stress of the past week threw me into a full blown panic attack. Sobbing on the side of a cliff wasn’t where I expected to be that morning, but I made it back down okay. There’s a metaphor in there somewhere.
3. My tiny family. All three of them are just so cute, make me laugh and love on me when I’m sad. I’m so lucky.
4. Birthday slippers! And, another birthday, to get to be here, to be 49 years old (how did that happen?!), to be able to get old. I’ve got some special plans today, get to spend time with some of my favorite people, and I’m grateful. My birthday, landing where it does, always feels like the kickoff to a long celebration that doesn’t end until New Year’s.
5. SNOW!!! Finally… It has been crazy warm here for fall, with the past few days hitting almost 80, so to get some frozen moisture feels good.
Bonus joy: phone call from my mom, text and box of presents from my brother, Mary’s Mountain Cookies (seriously, local people, what kind of evil do they put in the oatmeal chocolate chip?!), roasted veggies, space, time, all the love on Facebook (best thing about Facebook absolutely has to be birthdays), a warm shower, a cold glass of water, good books, good tv, good people who won’t give up, a new headlamp, new snow tires on their way, glasses, clean sheets, sleep, soaking in a warm tub, napping with my dogs, how much Ringo loves the snow, how much Sam loves me.