1. A twist on the mannequin challenge, DOGS! This one is my favorite, because Cattle Dogs are the best.
2. Recipes I want to try: Zucchini Carrot Fritters, and Slow Cooker Butternut Squash Soup, and Loaded Fried Mashed Potatoes, and Twice Baked Sweet Potatoes with Broccoli, and Pull-Apart Holiday Monkey Bread.
3. Kendrick Eagle: Message to President Obama. “A message from a young Indigenous man, Kendrick Eagle, who met President Obama in 2014 and was promised the president would have his back.” #NoDAPL In related news, Dispatch from the front lines at Standing Rock: Call your President. And if you don’t know what to say when you call, this might help, Official Press Release for Oceti Sakowin, or Cory Booker’s letter to the Department of Justice. And, At Standing Rock and Beyond, What Is to Be Done?, which asks, “What kind of machine produces violence to meet prayer, and prison in return for demanding resources to simply live? What kind of machine responds to those trying to protect their water by spraying them in subfreezing temperatures with water?” And this, Sioux Tribe Leader Responds to Army Corps Eviction Letter With Ominous Warning to US Gov’t. And this, Portraits from the Standing Rock protests. Also, did you hear that a group of military veterans are going to Standing Rock to offer support the water protectors? This post made from Zhooniya Ogitchida me cry.
“I am a 10 year, 2x war veteran. I am not a protestor, I am an Ogitchida, I am here to protect these people from you. I am a defender of the constitution. I came to see this for myself. I seen the rubber bullets, I seen the gas, I seen the attack dogs, I seen the water at freezing temperature. I seen the riot gear and the violence inflicted on so many U.S. citizens. I seen how you’ve been mistreating my people. I am the first of many warriors to come.”
4. Making America White Again from Toni Morrison. “The choices made by white men, who are prepared to abandon their humanity out of fear of black men and women, suggest the true horror of lost status.”
8. Christmas Time Is Here – Daniela Andrade ft. Cutest Dog in the Galaxy. It’s time. This, on repeat.
9. The 10 Best books of 2016, according to The Washington Post.
10. How You Can Help The Standing Rock Sioux Fight The Dakota Access Pipeline. Please, please, please, do whatever you can. In related news, Thousands of veterans are traveling to Standing Rock to stop the Dakota Access Pipeline — and this man is leading them.
11. Secret Life of 4 Year Olds: Cuddles and Coleslaws. OMG, these kids are so cute.
14. “Self-help,” from Matt Haig’s Reasons To Stay Alive.
15. The Mental Habit of Feeling Rushed & Overwhelmed from Zen Habits.
17. Two Kinds of Quiet from Jena Schwartz.
Take your anger, your grief, your fear, your overwhelm — whatever states you find yourself cycling through — and let them be guides. Show up without knowing what you will write or say. Trust your instincts: join up with people you can learn from and move away from people who make you feel unsafe or crazy. And if the quiet of really listening for where you belong is trying to get your attention, let it.
19. Closer – The Chainsmokers ft. Halsey (Boyce Avenue ft. Sarah Hyland cover). I love this version. And if you really listen to the lyrics of this song, it’s the saddest thing ever… “We ain’t ever getting older.” *sigh*
20. Wall of Us. “He promised a wall. He will be stopped by a wall of us. Four concrete acts of resistance delivered to your inbox each week.”
21. A wish from Maya Angelou, “My wish for you is that you continue. Continue to be who and how you are, to astonish a mean world with your acts of kindness. Continue to allow humor to lighten the burden of your tender heart.”
There are millions of Americans who don’t understand why anyone might worry about the effects of this election. They see it as ‘feelings’ versus their own real concerns. Those of us on the other side need to be clear that Mr. Trump’s callous disregard for people outside his demographic is intolerable, and will be destructive to the entire nation.
24. Safety Pin Box, “a monthly subscription box for white people striving to be allies in the fight for Black Liberation. Box memberships are a way to not only financially support Black femme freedom fighters, but also complete measurable tasks in the fight against white supremacy.”
25. Garbage singer Shirley Manson on beauty and social media. “There’s so much pressure on young women to be beautiful, to put a photograph up on social media and have people go, ‘Wow, you’re so beautiful.’ Unfortunately it’s such an empty pursuit, really, to be told you’re beautiful.”
26. Dogs are the best. These 9 hilarious comics remind us why. Not that I needed the reminder.