1. Lingering birthday love. Some because a few wishes and gifts came in the days after, and some because of the gorgeous flowers that remind me every day when I sit down at my “desk” that somebody loves me.
2. Practice. It remains constant, even as everything else is constantly shifting and changing.
3. Good food, leftovers. The winter holidays are just our tiny family in our tiny home, but that means that everything we cook for those special meals on those days are our favorite things — exhibit A is the picture above: Eric’s apple pie.
4. Vaccines. Eric and I scheduled our boosters for next week, as the news reports yet another variant. I’m glad we have access. I’m glad there are people who worked really hard to make that happen. I’m glad for all the other people who got vaccinated, wash their hands and wear their masks. I’m glad for all the people working in health care to support and try to heal all of us, even those who made a different choice.
5. Morning walks. This week, we got to go together one morning, and next week we’ll be back to our regular schedule for another couple of weeks. Because Eric was with me, he could stand behind me and get Ringo to look at him while I got some good pictures of the boy.
6. My tiny family, my tiny home, my tiny life. Eric was on fall break this week and it was really nice to have him here. It also made it really clear how much more bonded Ringo is to me now that I’m the one who’s home with him most often. I kept teasing Eric that he’s my dog now, and one night when he wouldn’t stop bugging me, I told Eric, “you can have your dog back now.”
Bonus joy: roasted veggies, my new best friend: the hydromassage chair at the gym, texting with Mom and Chris, hanging out with Calyx and Chloe’, other people’s dogs, that corner of the couch, good TV, listening to podcasts, cooking, getting in the pool, sitting in the sauna with Eric, training with Shelby, my new therapist, my nutritionist, apple pie oatmeal, writing, reading about writing, rubber bands, twist ties, bread, getting a massage, health insurance, calendars, online shopping, naps, reading in bed at night while Eric and Ringo sleep.