1. Wisdom from Elizabeth Mattis Namgyel: “The fact that nothing is certain, and we therefore can’t hold on to anything, can evoke fear and depression in the mind. But it can also evoke a sense of wonder, curiosity, and freedom.”
2. What To Do About the Pointless Practice of Worrying by Courtney Carver on Be More With Less.
3. Padgett Powell’s rules on “What Writing Should Do,” printed in the back of The Interrogative Mood. “Brave wild failure is applauded.”
4. #DoTheWork from Rachel Elizabeth Cargle, a 30 day course “designed to be an eye-opener and a call to action for those who seek to be allies to Black women.” In related news, USM offers two free online classes on social reform, racism in America.
5. On Being with Krista Tippett: Robin DiAngelo and Resmaa Menakem in Conversation. “The show we released with Minneapolis-based trauma specialist Resmaa Menakem in the weeks after George Floyd’s killing has become one of our most popular episodes, and has touched listeners and galvanized personal searching. So we said yes when Resmaa proposed that he join On Being again, this time together with Robin DiAngelo, the author of White Fragility. Hearing the two of them together is electric — the deepest of dives into the calling of our lifetimes.”
7. Your Love for Dogs May Be in Your DNA. If this is true, I definitely got it from my dad.
8. For HSPs, Compassion Fatigue Is All Too Real. “Signs of compassion fatigue include chronic exhaustion, isolation, trouble sleeping, and more.”
9. People Behaving Badly: Oregon Senator blasts Trump over Portland protestor shot in head by federal DHS troops, and Lawyer for Michigan Couple Who Pulled Gun on Black Family Says They Were Victims of ‘Ethnic Intimidation’, and Blues Singer Lady A: ‘I Should Not Have to Bend to Band’s Will Because They’ve Got Money’, and Indiana Woman Arrested For Hitting Protesters And Speeding Off With Them Still Clinging On To Her Car, and Authorities execute search warrant on St. Louis couple who pointed guns at protesters, and Video shows white woman harassing Black pedestrian: “F**ckhead!”, and Drunk Man Has a Racist Meltdown Over Asian Family at California Restaurant, and Californians Who Allegedly Defaced Black Lives Matter Mural Face Hate Crime Charge, and J.K. Rowling Compares Transitioning to “Conversion Therapy”, and Turns Out Florida Man Who Waved Gun At Black Homeowner During Racist Rant Has Been Faking Being A Navy SEAL For Years, and ‘Get The Noose’: Video Shows Black Man Nearly Lynched On The Fourth Of July, and Tucker Carlson’s racist and extreme descriptions of the Black Lives Matter movement.
10. COVID-19 related news (which includes some people behaving badly): Man, 30, Dies After Attending a ‘Covid Party,’ Texas Hospital Says (“I thought this was a hoax,” the man told his nurse) on The New York Times, and Man Dies Of COVID-19 After Posting On Facebook That Masks Are All Hype, and From Camping To Dining Out: Here’s How Experts Rate The Risks Of 14 Summer Activities, and Fauci: I Haven’t Briefed President Trump in Two Months, and Which drugs and therapies are proven to work for COVID-19—and which ones aren’t, and Trump Sets Date To End WHO Membership Over Its Handling Of Virus, and Florida Man Screams “I Feel Threatened” At Elderly Woman Who Asked Him To Wear A Mask In Costco, and Anti-mask shoppers at Costco and Target throw tantrums and tear down mask displays, revealing a growing crisis for retail workers, and Nurses Who Battled Virus in New York Confront Friends Back Home Who Say It’s a Hoax on The New York Times, and Florida teen dies after conspiracy theorist mom takes her to church ‘covid party’ and tries to treat her with Trump-approved drug, and Hell No To The Hybrid Model, and 239 experts want WHO to declare coronavirus airborne. Here’s why it’s hesitating.
11. The Goya Foods free speech controversy, explained. “Goya Foods’ CEO says his speech is being suppressed by a boycott. It’s not.”
15. Betty White Blooper Reel from Hot in Cleveland. (video)
16. The Acrobatic Immigrant Who Invented Pilates in a Prisoner of War Camp. “Interned during WWI, circus entertainer Joseph Pilates used found materials and his fellow prisoners as his test lab, and imagined an exercise system that would captivate millions.”
17. The Inside Story of Why Mary Trump Wrote a Tell-All Memoir on The New York Times. “President Trump’s niece was a family outcast. Her new book casts a cold light on the relatives she describes as dysfunctional.”
18. What the police really believe. “Inside the distinctive, largely unknown ideology of American policing — and how it justifies racist violence.”
19. Dakota Access and Atlantic Coast Pipelines to Shut Down. May the Water Protectors who have done so much for all of us get a moment to pause, to celebrate, to rest, and may they feel the immeasurable love and gratitude of the rest of us.
23. Black Lives Matter at 7 Years and the Meaning of this Movement-Moment. “For the last seven years, Black Lives Matter has worked to end state-sanctioned violence against Black people and struggle forward, in the Black radical tradition, to transform systems that were deliberately and intentionally designed to produce oppressive and deadly outcomes.”