1. What does it mean to “make light”? from Karen Walrond.
2. Ava DuVernay’s Visionary Filmmaking Is Reshaping Hollywood.
3. My shadow son: A stranger insisted he was my child for more than a decade.
4. Mom Films Video For The Son She Put Up For Adoption So He’ll Always Know He Was Wanted. This article describes the heartbreak of giving a baby up for adoption so clearly.
5. Five ways to make a difference in 2018.
6. Outcry After Louisiana Teacher Arrested During School Board Meeting. Outrage is exactly the correct response to this.
7. 30+ Times Dogs Surprised Humans With Their Incredibly Heroic Acts.
8. My goofy online yoga teacher has indoctrinated me into her cult.“I had a near-pathological fear of public exercise and rarely went out for a run, but my daily morning date with Adriene’s YouTube channel has given me hope.”
9. What It’s Like Being a Highly Sensitive Person in a Caring Profession. This is always the dilemma for me — I need work that has meaning, but as such the same job wrecks me.
10. Introverts: 5 Practices to Make 2018 Your Best Year Yet.
11. Roxane Gay Defends Writer Sarah Hollowell Against Fatphobia at the Midwest Writers Workshop. In related news, Roxane Gay Exposed The Midwest Writers Workshop For Fatphobia On Twitter, and Roxane Gay, Midwest Writer’s Workshop, and Breaking the Silence of Fatphobia.
12. How this Black femme finds peace in Tarot as the world burns.
13. No One Is Coming to Save Us From Trump’s Racism by Roxane Gay on The New York Times.
14. Meshell Ndegeocello Unveils Heartbreaking Cover of Prince Classic, ‘Sometimes it Snows in April.’
15. Recipe I want to try: Roasted Garlic Butternut Squash Soup.
16. Pussy Hats: The Confederate Flag for White Feminists. “As cis and trans women of color enter 2018 with new plans of action, white feminists repeat their failures, complete with exclusion and pussy hats.”
17. Heiress Plotted 19 Grisly Crimes. Investigation Underway. “Frances Glessner Lee, the first lady of forensic science, was a cult curiosity. With her ‘Nutshell Studies’ at the Renwick Gallery, she rises to art star.”
18. These Photos Prove We Have No Idea How Food Grows. (video)
19. The Skeleton Key: Dismantle “is an offering to white women to begin to dismantle the white supremacy we carry in our own bones” from Abigail Rose Clark.
20. Couple with Down syndrome: ‘Love is love.’ (video)
21. Everyday, Frog The Rooster meets the kids at the school bus. (video)
22. Humanizing Trans People One Photo At A Time. (video)
23. Full of Sound and Fury: The Anger of Mediocre White Dudes.
24. Justice and dignity, the endless shortage from Seth Godin.
25. Feast is open for applications. Feast is a 3-month journey to becoming a Well-fed Woman, and it changed my life, continues to do so.
26. A few ideas for honoring Martin Luther King from Wall of Us.
27. How to manage ANY health condition…without dieting from Isabel Foxen Duke.