1. Hurricane Harvey in Photographs on The New York Times, (And btw, The New York Times has lifted the paywall on articles about the storm). In related news, A Catastrophe for Houston’s Most Vulnerable People, and The Trump administration will check people’s papers as they evacuate from Hurricane Harvey.
2. What you can do to help: Donate to Austin Pets Alive! who is helping shelters in the direct line of Hurricane Harvey, or check out this list from ABC News, or this list on Texas Monthly, or this list from Vox.
3. Old Feral Cat Becomes Grandpa To Foster Kittens. “This old feral cat hated living in a home — until he met the loves of his life.” I shared another video of him already, but this one was too good to keep to myself. In related news, as in “other examples of animal videos that make me stupid happy,” here’s one from West Coast Heeler pack, just a bunch of furry friends out for a walk.
5. Humans of New York, the series! (video)
6. The Running Activist. (video) “Running is not just about running fast…It’s a way to engage people in conversations, and really change the narrative on what it means to be a Black woman.”
8. The cover of Women’s Running, The Great Outdoors Special Issue. “On the cover is the inspirational Mirna Valerio, the woman behind the Fat Girl Running blog, who within the issue writes about how nature inspires every aspect of her life.”
9. An Ariz. Man Is Out of a Job After Posting About Plan to ‘Drive Through’ Trump Protesters. “I think we have a solid candidate for ‘Dick of the Year’ here.” Agreed, and yet, even worse is that this sort of nonsense is pretty common.
10. Wisdom from Patti Digh,
Just a suggestion to my white friends: Rather than spend energy asserting that you don’t have white privilege, investigate how you can use your privilege to dismantle racism. Because trust me, you’ve got it. The very color of your skin provides you with an unearned privilege that people of color don’t have. If you see “privilege” as “wealthy,” then you’re misunderstanding what I mean by white skin privilege. Unearned social advantage by virtue of just having white skin. You’ve got it. Don’t apologize for it. Don’t feel guilty about it. Don’t be ashamed of it. Just use it to dismantle racism.
11. 94-year-old man builds pool for neighborhood kids. (video) “After Keith lost his wife, his house grew silent and lonely. So Keith put in a pool, and the neighborhood kids now fill the silence with laughter.”
12. Buddhism’s Origins, a short video with Morgan Freeman.
13. This 4 year-old percussionist is amazing! (video) His teacher, Baba Donn, continues to teach at the Harlem School of the Arts where he has taught for over 25 years.
14. Wait, Do People Actually Know Just How Evil This Man Is? “Joe Arpaio’s reign was two decades of intimidation, cruelty, and abuses of power.”
16. All Your Favorite HGTV Shows Are Totally Fake. I already knew some of this, but it doesn’t stop me from watching – it’s still good fiction.
18. A Love Letter to Activist from Desiree Lynn Adaway.
21. From Alexandra Franzen, in her recent newsletter where she talked about publishing your writing: “To help you get started, I made something for you: CLICK HERE to download a list of 25 places that would love to publish your work. Yes, really. Yes, you. This is a list of blogs, websites, magazines, literary journals, and other places that are currently accepting submissions from new writers. I compiled this list along with my friend Susan—we run a writing class together—and we hope it’s super helpful for you!”
22. Jim Carrey: I Needed Color. (video)
23. Death to the Dichotomy from Be Nourished. “Our individual cycles of self-neglect are only mirrors of what is offered up by the culture, collectively and systemically.”
24. I’m 35 and I may suddenly have lost the rest of my life. I’m panicking, just a bit. “Stop just assuming you have a full lifetime to do whatever it is you dream of doing.”
25. Don’t forget the second step from Seth Godin.
26. The Diet/Beauty Industry Cycle of Dis-Empowerment. When I first looked at this chart, I stared at it for a really, really long time — stunned, gobsmacked. #truth
27. Consider a membership with Everyday Feminism. They do really good work, and need our help to continue doing it.
29. Where Will You Stand? If we are to uphold the dharma, says Rev. angel Kyodo williams, we must stand up to racism and expose its institutionalized forms—even in our Buddhist communities. “Our inability as a nation to atone for the theft of these lands and the building of wealth, power, and privilege on the countless backs and graves of Black people is our most significant obstacle to being at peace with ourselves, and thus with the world.” (Thanks for the link, Rita).
30. Love Everyone: A Guide for Spiritual Activists on Lion’s Roar.
33. What do you expect? on Life is Limitless. “Suffering comes in when you have the bar too high for yourself with expectations that sound more like orders or dictates and most of the time stem from other significant people in your life (parents, teachers, etc)…Suffering is experienced in the body when your bar is set from a place of striving and expectation and/or is set by others or from societal pressures of who we think we should be, what we think we should have or what we think we should do.” *sigh*