1. Morning walks. We saw some friends last week and they were talking about a trip they just got back from, another one they were planning, and also about how they’d never be able to afford a house here (I’m not sure we would have been able to in the current market, as our house is worth about 3 times what it was when we bought it 20 years ago) but that they’d rather be renters and travel, see the world and have adventures. I get it, but for me, I’d rather know a place, see it through the seasons, the years, have adventures that are about depth rather than distance. It never gets boring to me being in one place because rather than static, things are always changing and alive, and being able to remember what was and notice what is new and be in love with a specific single place is my jam.
2. Practice. Making art with Calyx and Janice, Wild Writing with Laurie and our writing sangha, meditating in the quiet dark of the morning, sitting in front of my HappyLight with a hot cup of coffee, cocoa, and tiny marshmallows while I write in my journal.
3. Spring. The daffodils and crocus are blooming, the grass is getting green, and we’ve been able to hang out in the back yard on the nice days, which is one of Ringo’s favorite things.
4. Good neighbors. Our next door neighbors are moving to Ohio to be closer to family and they really have been the BEST neighbors, good friends for the past 14 years. As they clean out their house and pack up, we’ve been getting some good stuff — our favorite being some toys that belonged to their dog, who passed a few years ago and was so loved by us. One night this week when it was nice out, I made dinner in our “outdoor kitchen” (i.e. an electric skillet I put on our patio table) and the whole time I was cooking, our neighbor on the other side was with his dog in his backyard playing his guitar — they are super good neighbors too.
5. My tiny family, tiny home, tiny life. It really is everything I ever wanted.
Bonus joy: Dinner with Chelsey and Jon, texting with Chloe’ and Mom and Chris, pay day, strawberries and raspberries, Ringo so soft after getting a bath, how much Ringo loves his physical therapist Teri, ordering pizza and watching a movie with Eric, the hydromassage chair, the pool, the sauna, small group training with Shelby, gummy supplements, a big glass of cold clean water, listening to podcasts, watching TV, sitting in the sun in the backyard with Ringo and Eric, paint, a warm shower, clean sheets, new socks, being retired/not having to work at CSU anymore, reading in bed at night while Ringo and Eric sleep.