1. I’m still here, one year later. A big snow storm is heading our way, possibly feet of snow, so yesterday when the sun came out, I sat in the backyard for a bit. It felt really good.
2. Morning walks. Towards the end of the week we got rain, and it would have been too muddy to go by the river, so Ringo and I zigzagged around our neighborhood instead. With the time change coming this weekend, and the big snow, it’s hard to tell what next week’s walks will be like. We’ll leave a bit later so we still get to see the sun come up and may have to alter our route a bit, but I bet I’ll get some pretty pictures.
3. Practice. Keep showing up. Stay tender. Keep your heart open. Don’t give up.
4. Comfort. Chocolate cake, chicken pot pie, long naps, books, podcasts, warm clean laundry, clean sheets, a warm shower, music playing in the background, sunshine, kitchen counter love notes.
5. My tiny family, tiny house, tiny life. May we remain safe and well, no matter what arises.
Bonus joy: more people getting vaccinated, my writing sangha, birds at the feeder, true crime TV, heat, electricity, doors that lock, that corner of the couch, napping with Ringo, Spotify, Zoom, movies, podcasts, getting a refund on our taxes for the 2nd year in a row, wool socks and sweaters, down blankets and pillows, fresh soft chewy bread, clean water, a washer and dryer in my house so I don’t have to drag all my dirty clothes somewhere else and wait, bird song, windows, seeing Lindsey and blowing each other kisses through our masks, the woman who loaded my grocery order remembering me and saying “Hi Jill! Long time, no see!” which made me feel seen which I didn’t even realize I needed, hanging out and writing with Mikalina, texting my mom and brother and niece, knowing that even if it does snow a lot we can just stay home and we’ll be safe, watching Antiques Roadshow with Eric and guessing what things will be worth and if we’d keep it or sell it, Eric taking some time off from work next week, reading in bed at night while Eric and Ringo sleep.