1. Good stuff from Austin Kleon’s weekly newsletter: History: Ellis Haizlip and Soul! and Watch Season 1 of Soul! streaming online.
2. Good stuff from Lion’s Roar: How Meditation Works (In My Life, Anyway), and Commentary: Admiring & Admonishing the Dalai Lama, and How to Practice Shamatha Meditation.
3. Are You Ready To Consider That Capitalism Is The Real Problem? “Before you say no, take a moment to really ask yourself whether it’s the system that’s best suited to build our future society.”
4. 550,000 Acres on Fire in Alaska in Latest Sign of the Climate Crisis.
5. The body positivity movement is not for slim bodies already accepted by society.
6. Oregon tackles the veterinary suicide crisis, starting with the stigma.
7. Pose star Billy Porter: Wearing a dress is a ‘political act’.
8. Why we should abolish ICE — and the DEA too. “The failed drug war and Trump’s war on immigrants share many features. To change course, we need to change institutions.”
9. Wisdom from Hillary McBride, “Therapy is not about becoming, it’s about unbecoming all the things that you thought you had to be to be loved.”
10. ‘It’s our responsibility to make this world a better place’ — Listen to Megan Rapinoe’s powerful speech from the USWNT victory parade. (video) In related news, VIDEO! Rachel Maddow Casually Asks Megan Rapinoe to Run for President, and ‘Pay them girls what they worth.’ — Snoop Dogg is joining the chorus of calls for equal pay in U.S. soccer (video). Snoop Dog says so. That’s all I need.
11. Wombat has the zoomies. (video) I think my Ringo Blue might be part Wombat.
12. These 21 Things Stress Out Highly Sensitive People the Most.
13. Gorillas make up “little food songs” while they eat: Listen to them here.
14. This week in People Behaving Badly: ‘They Are Free To Leave’: Trump Accuses Congresswomen Of Hating America, and Trump Tells Congresswomen to ‘Go Back’ to the Countries They Came From on The New York Times, and The Ten Stages of Genocide (red alert: we seem to be on stage 7), and Trump says he’s not concerned about being racist because “many people agree” with him, and Trump Says Racist Nonsense Because He Means It and Because He Knows He Can Win on It, and Killing of Sadie Roberts-Joseph, African American Museum Founder, Stuns Baton Rouge on The New York Times, and Neo-Nazi James Fields Gets 2nd Life Sentence For Charlottesville Attack, and Watch: White Security Guard Pulls Gun on Black Cop in Full Uniform Because the Black Cop Had a Gun, and ICE agents were caught on film asking passengers at a bus station if they’re U.S. citizens (video), and Thousands In Danger As ICE Raids Scheduled To Begin On Sunday, and Watch this emotional exchange between AOC and a mother who lost her daughter in ICE custody (video), and U.S. Appeals Court Rules Trump Violated First Amendment By Blocking Twitter Followers, and ICE Is Dangerously Inaccurate on The New York Times, and This cop was arrested after a year-long investigation revealed he repeatedly planted drugs during traffic stops — he now faces felony charges (video), and ‘Shaken To My Core’: Testimony Describes Conditions For Detained Migrants, and AOC says she witnessed a ‘manufactured crisis’ at border detention camps (video), and U.S. Prosecutors File New Charges, Including Child Pornography, Against R. Kelly on The New York Times, and High schoolers who wore masks during homophobic graffiti spree identified by auto-connect wi-fi, and Colorado man shot to death in dispute with armed couple angry about fireworks, and Trump’s Fourth of July event and weekend protests bankrupted D.C. security fund, mayor says, and An Arizona Teenager Was Fatally Stabbed. The Suspect Blames Rap Music. on The New York Times, and ICE Just Quietly Opened Three New Detention Centers, Flouting Congress’ Limits, and Florida principal defended meager Holocaust curriculum because ‘not everyone believes the Holocaust happened’ (The Holocaust IS NOT an opinion or a belief, it’s a FACT), and 83 Environmental Rules Being Rolled Back Under Trump on The New York Times, and Judge Gets Threats After Saying Teenager in Rape Case Was From ‘Good Family’ on The New York Times.