1. Rest. Our Christmas and New Year’s plans were the same as always: home alone together, eating good food, taking walks and naps, reading and watching TV — in general slowing down. Turns out that’s just what we needed, that space and rest, because both Eric and I came down with the crud, first him then me, both of us testing negative for COVID but feeling like warm garbage, not having much energy for anything.
2. Snow. Because of the aforementioned crud, Eric and I had to take turns shoveling it, but were both glad to finally get some real snow, an actual winter.
3. Winter morning sky. Because of the snow and cold and my crud and Eric being on a break from work, I haven’t been walking much lately. I have adopted a simple morning practice so I don’t miss the winter morning sky: “sky before screen.” Basically, once I get up in the morning, before I reach for my phone, I go outside and look up at the sky. It never disappoints.
4. Making art with Calyx. Left to my own devices, I tend to make being creative a big deal, a project, and because of that, I end up not practicing as much as I’d like. Hanging out with Calyx makes it easy, gentle, fun.
5. My tiny family, tiny home, tiny life. I am so lucky, to be safe and comfortable and so loved. It makes everything else bearable.
Bonus joy: dark chocolate and caramel, banana bread with toasted walnuts, clean laundry, a warm shower, drive through free COVID testing, tissues with lotion, the internet, streaming TV and movies, listening to podcasts, Red Sage Vets, online appointment scheduling, birds at the feeder, that corner of the couch, down blankets and pillows and coats, watching movies with Eric pretending like we are at the theater, snacks, bread, being able to easily take the time and do what I need to feel better when I’m sick, canceled plans, reusable grocery bags, cheese, merino wool, practice, vaccines, not giving up, all the various therapies and support, new calendars, staring out the window for no good reason, snow tires, other people’s dogs and babies/kids, laughing with Eric, reading in bed at night while Ringo and Eric sleep.