37 Days, Art, Avocados, Be More with Less, BuzzFeed, Compassion, Create as Folk, Cute Animals, Dexter, Elephant Journal, Erica Staab, Fear, Food, Geneen Roth, Gluten Free, Hannah Marcotti, HelloGiggles, Home Design, Huffington Post, Inner Pilot Light, Inspiration, instagram, Judy Clement Wall, Laura Simms, Marc and Angel Hack Life, Mati Rose, Mojo Lab, Pema Chödrön, Poetry, Positively Present Blog, Ram Daas, Reading, Recipe, SF Girl by Bay, Something Good, Susannah Conway, Tara Brach, Tara Sophia Mohr, Your Daily Rock
I interrupt this regularly scheduled post for a Dexter update: He’s home! We got to bring him home last night. He’s feeling better, eating small bland meals while his tummy heals, taking medication to help the process, and his nose has stopped bleeding. He slept peacefully last night, went on a short walk this morning, and is taking a break right now in his bed after playing with me and his Little D. I’m so glad to have him home and that he’s feeling better, even as I remain aware that he still has terminal cancer.
Now I return you to your regularly schedule programming…
1. 25 Animals Who Can’t Stop Smiling on BuzzFeed.
2. This from Pema Chödrön, “Choosing to cultivate love rather than anger might just be what it takes to save the planet from extinction.”
3. The Cultivation of Compassion on Elephant Journal.
4. Simply Perfect Food on Be More with Less.
5. 40 Inspiring Workspaces Of The Famously Creative on BuzzFeed. Looking at these revealed that I am drawn to messy, booklined spaces.
6. Recipes I want to try: Avocado Pesto Pasta, Cinnamon Sweet Potato & Kale Delight, how to make chicken stock (and my mum’s chicken soup), Avocado Tempah BLT, and Melissa Clark’s Chicken Curry with Sweet Potatoes.
7. 10 Snack Foods That Have Gone Too Far on HelloGiggles.
8. This, from Henry Miller, “The moment one gives close attention to anything, even a blade of grass, it becomes a mysterious, awesome, indescribably magnificent world in itself,” i.e. why I don’t need to travel to have a full life.
9. Dog Loves Cat: A Love Story in Letters, a photo essay.
10. This from Tara Brach, “We are born with a beautiful open spirit, alive with innocence and resilience. But we bring this goodness into a difficult world.”
11. 10 Mindful Folks on Instagram to Follow—& Uplift & Awaken your Every Day on Elephant Journal.
12. 10 Signs Your Friend is Toxic from Marc and Angel Hack Life.
13. This from Frederick Buechner, “Here is the world. Beautiful and terrible things will happen. Don’t be afraid.” This reminds me of my mantra (so much so, it’s kind of freaky, since I don’t remember ever hearing the his quote before, but it’s so similar): Life is beautiful and brutal, tender and terrible–keep your heart open.
14. Industrial-Edged Chic in Rotterdam. This was first shared by SF Girl by Bay. If I can’t have the converted waffle factory in France, I want to live here. The colors and materials and light of the kitchen are especially dreamy.
15. An Open Letter to Employers on Create as Folk. Amen, Laura Simms.
16. This from Geneen Roth,
Here is my thought for the day: when you’re tired, rest.
I know that sounds ridiculously simple, but I’ve been watching how difficult it is for me to stop. The adrenaline rush of pushing and moving and going past my limits is so familiar. Rest is radical. Stillness. Stopping. Taking five minutes a few times a day to stop everything, breathe, rest. Let out bodies catch up with themselves.
You’re allowed to stop. You’re allowed to rest. You’re allowed to be “unproductive” and not do one thing that looks useful to anyone else. See what happens.
17. This from Your Inner Pilot Light, “Come home, my dear. You keep looking for the answers in books, gurus, therapists, your best friend, or church. And sure- glean what you can from the outside world. But when you find yourself still confused and tired of seeking guidance out there, come back to me. I have the answers, if only you’ll get quiet and listen.”
18. This from Max Ehrmann’s Desiderata, “With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy.”
Can you feel the one deep inside your chest,
who has existed forever?
Who has made a thousand journeys?
Who feels like a comet in the dark?
The inner filament?
I know, no one ever told you.
I know. It wasn’t the name you learned to write at school,
but that one is you.
That one is the real you.
22. Susannah Conway’s new video on her About page. It’s authentic, real as dirt, reminds me of the videos she makes for her ecourses, communicates so clearly who she is and what she writes about.
23. 36 Awe Inspiring Online Gurus Reveal Their Fears And How They Overcame Them, originally shared by Dani of Positively Present (she’s one of the gurus).
26. A Magical Reading Life: Reading with Intention on the Mojo Lab.
27. From Erica Staab’s 40 Days of Deep Wisdom,
Sink into your soul.
Allow whatever needs to surface to do so without judgement.
Instead of judgement try gentle curiosity.
What does your own deep wisdom have to say today?
28. Making Art Can Be Hard by Mati Rose.
29. In This Fragile Sacred Space, the wonderful Judy Clement Wall on Huffington Post.
30. This from Ram Daas, “we are all just walking each other home.”